Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
The machine has 240 hours on it. I have lost many days due to it being down, and have had HUGE cleanups on customer driveways cleaning up 10+ gallons of hydraulic fluid. One of which is not cleaned and looks like im going to be on the hook for. Each breakdown has been something different. Last week was a kicker machine just died in the middle of an intersection (residential) and had to have a police backhoe pull me to the side. We don't use it hard, it loads mulch at our shop, and excavates patios and moves modified stone. I just don't know what to do, I buy a new machine to not have headaches and that's all I have had. The machine comes with a 2 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the arm.
Is it just hoses bursting? Or is it other problems?

One of my friends that is a farmer has a jcb with 6000 hours.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Oh yeah...that's how this thread started.

I rolled the same way as far as choices. Cain, Gingrich then Romney. I like Gingrich a lot, but apparently his knowledge wasn't something the voters cared about much.
No I dont think the voters much cared about Gingrich's knowledge base, like AWJ said its a popularity contest and knowledge of the issues seems to take a "back of the bus seat" to much more trivial methods of deciding who is most fit to lead.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
No I dont think the voters much cared about Gingrich's knowledge base, like AWJ said its a popularity contest and knowledge of the issues seems to take a "back of the bus seat" to much more trivial methods of deciding who is most fit to lead.
Just like the teachers, politicians should be held to a standard and graded on their performance. Term limits. The President has a distinct advantage in air time, fund raising, and when you have no real policies other than obstructing progress, you are the darling of the far left. My grandpa was a "Yellow Dog" democrat and he supported Carter.. Geesh.. but I don't think he would support the current administration. I want to believe in the office but there just seems to be so much dirt that it's hard to trust that a single member of the current administration wants us to prosper. I don't know anyone who isn't hurting.. at least in what I would call the middle class. I have hired guys that basically brag about eating steak every night because they are on food stamps. Even had a relative state that they couldn't work much or they could risk losing their welfare. GEESH.. That's the problem right there. If everyone had to pull their fair share, we would be at the top again and you could leave the tax code alone and revenue would stream in because of productivity but instead we are facing a crisis where about half of us are pulling the rest along for a ride. It makes me sick. I work hard and my family works long, hard hours and I watch them write big, fat checks every year while other people get free medical care and steak and eggs every night.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As soon as enough people realize that they can "vote themselves money" we're toast. We're becoming a nation of takers instead of makers. Sad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been 3 or 4 hydraulic issues. Never an actual ruber hose. One was the fluted end of a hard line snapped off, a different hard line broke which they told me they had to remove the engine for and I don't even remember where the other hydro leaked was. Then the valve that controls the float feature burst. Last weeks issue I was driving from one house, to the end of the street to another house we were on and while in the high gear (the thing is very fast when engaged) it stopped dead while I was in an intersection. And when I say stopped dead the brakes locked up and I almost went through the windshield. The computer kept saying water In fuel, but the mechanic that came on site find a blown fuse, worked fine when replaced except when you engaged the left joystick it blew the same fuse everytime. This time I think was a wire harness issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully the dealer will come through for you..

Have to say my bobcat dealer came through for me a few weeks back.. My 773 lost a centering spool valve or something way more complicated than I can comprehend. But it lost all the hydraulic fluid right in the middle of a big clearing job.. Bobcat came through and gave me another machine to use while mine was being fixed.. And I havent spent hardly any money with them, much less bought a brand new machine from them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
It has been 3 or 4 hydraulic issues. Never an actual ruber hose. One was the fluted end of a hard line snapped off, a different hard line broke which they told me they had to remove the engine for and I don't even remember where the other hydro leaked was. Then the valve that controls the float feature burst. Last weeks issue I was driving from one house, to the end of the street to another house we were on and while in the high gear (the thing is very fast when engaged) it stopped dead while I was in an intersection. And when I say stopped dead the brakes locked up and I almost went through the windshield. The computer kept saying water In fuel, but the mechanic that came on site find a blown fuse, worked fine when replaced except when you engaged the left joystick it blew the same fuse everytime. This time I think was a wire harness issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think your going to have to make your case to JCB why this machine should be replaced. Like I said, get all your facts together and have a sit down and lay it all out. Hopefully your machine problems is an isolated incident, because they are not likely to give you your money back, the best I think you would see would your machine replaced with a like machine. I went through a similiar situation and was rolled into a newer and better machine. They basically charged me for the hours I put on the old one (we negotiated that number) and what I paid for that machine was put toward its replacement. Pretty simple.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JCB backhoe. I am not very brand conscious and I shop the the best deal from the best dealer. But I have always been surprised at how little the various brands seem to care about customer retention, and how poor their quality control is. It is not like a piece of excavating equipment is as complex as a car or pickup, and for the most part the layout and systems do not change for a long time. But they can't seem to get it right, and they don't seem capable of making improvements over a model run. On the whole, My JCB has been pretty good, but there have still been a number of issues, and they absolutely refuse to take ownership of them. Its frustrating. Maybe the reason I change brands so often is that they make no effort to retain me as a customer. Cat was the worst. The message that came across to me was "we are the best, this is the machine and this is the price. If you don't buy it someone else will."
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
I have a JCB backhoe. I am not very brand conscious and I shop the the best deal from the best dealer. But I have always been surprised at how little the various brands seem to care about customer retention, and how poor their quality control is. It is not like a piece of excavating equipment is as complex as a car or pickup, and for the most part the layout and systems do not change for a long time. But they can't seem to get it right, and they don't seem capable of making improvements over a model run. On the whole, My JCB has been pretty good, but there have still been a number of issues, and they absolutely refuse to take ownership of them. Its frustrating. Maybe the reason I change brands so often is that they make no effort to retain me as a customer. Cat was the worst. The message that came across to me was "we are the best, this is the machine and this is the price. If you don't buy it someone else will."

I agree that it is surpising when a new machine has the issues they seem to have at times. I have had a very small glance into the thought proccess involved when trying to get an OEM to make changes in product. Its huge, even when its obvious improvements need to be made. Things are brought up like the necessary changes to parts inventory, updates to all service and owners manuals yada, yada. Things you would not think about, matter to bean counters. While one would think that fielding the best product possible would be job one, I think its really fielding the best product for the least amount of money and one that yields the greatest profit potential. Which I get, an OEM, like us, are in it to make money. Obviously though there comes a point of diminished returns, when cheap skate ways destroy the product.

I have a nearly two decade relationship with the same dealer and the same OEM. I treated well by both and it would take a serious breakdown on someones end for that to require a change. I think to some extent the dealer and the OEM have to know your also committed to them. It cuts both ways. As to CAT, they seem to cater to the large contractor judging by what the smaller contractors seem to say. The more you buy, the more pull you seem to have. I think that can vary by dealership, but overall that seems to be their philosophy.

Reference the JCB in question. I really think JCB will step up as long as everything is as its been laid out here.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spoke with the dealer and also the JCB rep. He said he is going to talk to management and get back to me. We shall see.
Posted via Mobile Device