Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Renovation job

Spent over an hour walking through a new jobsite today. I worked on this property in the mid 80s with the original owner. House was completely rebuilt and new landscaping installed 12 years ago.

Seems like no lighting maintenance took place in the meantime.

5 Unique Multi-Matic transformers.
(Only one for the entire front yard, with more than half the fixtures, the farthest one over 150 ft from the TF.)

Front yard transformer held on with the biggest zip tie I've ever seen.

51 Kichler 15443 pathlights, about 30 of which are bent or broken, especially next to lawns or driveway. looks like the orginal are brass or copper. Client has 10 new ones on hand that are aluminum with a verdigris paint finish. Going to need a few more. Probably all good old ones moved to one area and new ones in another area so it doesn't loook too weird. Some just have bent stems and 'hat supports' which might be easy fixes.... or not. These seem waaaay overpriced to me for the flimsy build quality. (I could install FX integrated LED fixtures for the same price.)

23 Vista 2216 uplights. A handful of these are at the base of Bradford pear trees in the lawn and will be eliminated and not replaced.

19 downlights that I haven't ID'd yet. Lumiere maybe? (Not in their current catalog though.)

A dozen not working on a columned arbor that used to have wisteria on it. Bad wire connections or rat damage I'm thinking.

The rest on two wooden arbors.

Unfortunately, the owner just wants to make things work and not much more. No LEDs because he says he doesn't run them often. Plans to sell the house in a couple of years. Divorced, big house for just him and the two dogs.

If it were me, I would at least go with LEDs in the front (longest runs) and run off the lower voltage taps, as long as my voltage at the fixtures was between 9 and 15 volts. (which tap is it on to read 17.8 volts 150 ft away?)

He doesnt want to replace wires or do much digging if it can be helped. We'll see how that works.

I think the only way to bid a job like this is T and M because I can't tell all that I might be getting into. I'll probably give him a 'not-to-exceed' number, and maybe tackle the front yard in one bite and the back in another next spring if it doesn't fit his budget to do all at once.

Last edited by irrig8r; 11-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looked for that downlight in catalogs on hand and manufacturers' websites at Lumiere (Cooper), Hadco, FXL, Vista and Kichler before I gave up. (No ladder on hand to take one apart and look for a label.)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the the conversion from path light to wash light...lol
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere