Register free!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Cracked PEB

Another why me on Friday job. Knowing that this valve has a likely chance of doing this, I ran my finger nail around the seat, and didn't feel a split. So I rebuilt the valve complete (everything except the body). During a follow up check today, I see that it's still seeping. Pretty sure what the problem is so I get ready to replace it, luckily I still had the new body from the rebuild. I was thinking the worst since I knew it was in copper. My plan was to spin it off and maybe try a compression coupling on the downstream side to keep from getting the torch out. Surprise, someone else had the same idea when they put the valve in. So spin it off, tape the threads spin it back pressurize and check for leaks - good to go. The valve I put back is the newer PEB so I hope Rain Bird has made them stronger in that area.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah PEBs are always fun showed up to fix a weeping valve and found two that had major internal seat cracks. The whole place has 11 PEBs, things to look forward to
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would blame metal male threads into plastic females with prolonged water hammer the cause of that crack , nice find
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seen plenty of that on other valves this year, nice repair.......cept that compression fitting! I refuse to use them, but understand why u did in this case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
Seen plenty of that on other valves this year, nice repair.......cept that compression fitting! I refuse to use them, but understand why u did in this case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not a fan of the compression either. Sometimes on the lateral side as in this one. You wouldn't believe the number of them I see on the main side. I'm seeing them because I'm there to repair the main line leak. I would recommend teflon paste on the threads of the compression, makes a much easier tightening process.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I would blame metal male threads into plastic females with prolonged water hammer the cause of that crack , nice find
I agree that is a very likely cause.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
don't forget that the metal male threads were probably over tightened too.... and possibly too many wraps of Teflon tape too...
Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That usually causes a split on the female threads of the valve though, not the seat? Right? Ijn my experience anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinking mostly water hammer, but I never use metal pipe into plastic threads.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

IMO Rain Bird had a weak link there in the seat area. I used to see this valve leaking at the threads quite a bit. I've seen many a valve turned sideways in an effort to control the leak (main side). So to compensate they would really crank the male adapter on the next valve they installed. So maybe it's a little of both. Too tight and a weak spot on the PEB.