Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
GMLC-

That would be true if you were changing the gearing in the pumps/motors because it would affect how hard the engine has to work to move the wheels/tires, but just going to larger wheels and tires will bump up the top speed slightly, though it should also take slightly longer to get to top speed. The size difference isn't enough to make that much difference in real world performance in reality.

A good example of this is with the JD HD garden tractors, the 425 vs the 445. They are virtually identical in all aspects except for rear tire size. Both use the exact same rear end and drive shaft from engine to trans, and run at the same engine RPM's (they also use the same engine with the only difference being the 445 is fuel injected and runs at higher compression to make its 2 extra HP), but the 425 comes with 23X10.50X12 tires, and the 445 comes with 26X12X12 tires. The 445 has a top speed of 8.5 mph while the 425 has a top speed of 7.5.

Realslowww-

The only real and appreciable advantage that puppy would see with the slightly larger tires would be an even better ride.
I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong....
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong....
I hope I didn't come across to you as sounding abrasive or like a know-it-all. If so, I apologize. This is just an area in which I have some hands on experience. I always appreciate, and pay attention to, your input here, and I believe you always try to be straight and honest with everyone.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope I didn't come across to you as sounding abrasive or like a know-it-all. If so, I apologize. This is just an area in which I have some hands on experience. I always appreciate, and pay attention to, your input here, and I believe you always try to be straight and honest with everyone.
Not at all. Your one of the few here I consider knowledgeable about many things and do a lot of research. I was thinking gearing when I posted and now see my mistake as a larger tire covers more ground and I apologize to realslowww.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The new Super Z HD has 26x12x12 tires. It also has a slightly higher top speed to the SZ its replacing.

Puppy, why did you replace all those parts? There wasnt anything wrong with it was there? Tax reasons?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
The new Super Z HD has 26x12x12 tires. It also has a slightly higher top speed to the SZ its replacing.

Puppy, why did you replace all those parts? There wasnt anything wrong with it was there? Tax reasons?
The reason it has the higher top speed is the bigger tires. The old system would not be able to swing 26's on any type of hills. Maybe on a 60 but no way a 72.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Smaller tires would give you a higher top speed. Larger tires would be slower but give you more power. Think of your dirt bike or mountain bike, bigger rear sprocket=easier up hills, smaller back sprocket=higher speed.
I am sorry but you should enroll in a physics class along with you know who.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The reason it has the higher top speed is the bigger tires. The old system would not be able to swing 26's on any type of hills. Maybe on a 60 but no way a 72.
Thats what I was getting at!

I put photos up recently of an 08 SZ with very aggressive 26" tires. It was for work on slopes. I have little doubt it worked fine except goodness knows how long those pumps and or wheel motors lasted. Would of been very hard on them thats for sure.

I like the idea of 26" tires but I use AT101's and dont think they come in that size.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
GMLC-

That would be true if you were changing the gearing in the pumps/motors because it would affect how hard the engine has to work to move the wheels/tires, but just going to larger wheels and tires will bump up the top speed slightly, though it should also take slightly longer to get to top speed. The size difference isn't enough to make that much difference in real world performance in reality.

A good example of this is with the JD HD garden tractors, the 425 vs the 445. They are virtually identical in all aspects except for rear tire size. Both use the exact same rear end and drive shaft from engine to trans, and run at the same engine RPM's (they also use the same engine with the only difference being the 445 is fuel injected and runs at higher compression to make its 2 extra HP), but the 425 comes with 23X10.50X12 tires, and the 445 comes with 26X12X12 tires. The 445 has a top speed of 8.5 mph while the 425 has a top speed of 7.5.

Realslowww-

The only real and appreciable advantage that puppy would see with the slightly larger tires would be an even better ride.
He should pick up over 1 MPH in speed as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post

You are sharp...My wife (as well as myself) have always loved this mower and I like "new", so with my (everyone's) soybean crop making the most ever in the history of farming, and record prices, you are right, this was a good place to keep the government from wasting anymore than necessary.

This is still a remarkable mower, and I honestly did not realize I had lost a percentage of power. The machine and deck performs extremely well, and the efi engine is far ahead of a carburetor type engine, why Hustler did not give me a choice of the FX1000V-DFI engine is far beyond my ability to comprehend, maybe someone from Hustler could explain what I consider to be a serious mistake.

I talked with Bobcat, and they only offer the FX1000V-DFI on their Predator Pro, and made the statement to me that it was a total no brainer not to offer only the fuel injected engine, it gives you 2 more hp with what they said was at least 30% fuel savings, and from their testing sometimes more. When you can gain 2 additional hp, and go from using 1.8 gph to 1.25 to 1.3 gph, I don't need the intelligence to build a rocket (it ain't rocket science) when deciding which is the best buy for the money.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I am sorry but you should enroll in a physics class along with you know who.
LOL. I apologized to you a couple posts up as I was wrong and thinking of gearing.
Posted via Mobile Device