Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
It always amazes me how threads like this drag on when the best answers is given in post number two .....and everyone ignores it. The very first place you should look when a employee fails.....is yourself and why you allowed them to be hired. The employee most likely did not come looking for employment with a goal of failing in mind.....but did you make sure he was set up for success first by hiring the right person and did you properly ensure you trained him properly.
Sometimes it's hard though with an interview and then training period. We had one kid who knew his stuff but moved at a turtle pace. Another we hired worked great for three days, then he found out we didn't get out of work at 3 and that was the end of him. Sometimes it is the hiring parties fault, but other times the hired employee just isn't the right fit or they have different expectations than the employer.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody else use a written test on their application. I do. Its dirt simple. A little math, little green industry fill in the blank. The amount of time and body language tell me if the guy is even worth a shot. All but one of my guys is family from my wifes side or a friend of theirs that they are willing to vouch for. You can only train those who are capable of learning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here are my thoughts on hiring the right people. IMHO this should be done by at least two different people and three to be good with the third being you the one with the final decision. If they have made it to you they should already have a idea of what to expect by say your lead that did one interview and a up and coming laborer maybe.

1. Must access general knowledge of the industry. Test them...do not be scared to ask a million questions. Can they identify the different types of turf you care for, what about the plants?
2. Must clearly set and gather their hours of availability. Must be on paper and they and you sign. Make it clear...on the paper...you are hiring based off that availablity...they lessen it or refuse to work during those hours....it makes it easier for you in unemployment hearing.
3. Judge their looks. Not if they are good looking but do they take care of themselves? Did they do everything they could to present themselves in their best light? If they did not bother to shower to come to interview...do you think they are someone you want talking to your customers if they do not have that respect for themselves...they most likely will not have it for your company and its assets.
4. When explaining the typical day to them...explain the worst days. Make sure they are braced for it. Don't paint a rosy picture.
5. Try to interview them in the environment which they will be working. Maybe the shop? Ask them to show you how to operate a mower if they state they have experience...did they check the oil before starting the engine? If so they will take care of your equipment...if not they will assume that somebody besides them makes sure the equipment in ready. Ask them to demonstrate simple things like changing a edger blade or line on trimmer. You would be amazed of the horror stories I have heard of peoples bad hires over the years, which include the persons who are suppose to have experiance but can not do this basic task.
Hold the interview outside in the heat of the day. Did the applicant act like he was going to die during the interview? If so do you think he is going to make it through a 12 hour day in it.
6. Last but not least....check references ....not personal...that is crap...you want previous employers and their opinion.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
welcome to the world of low wage service jobs and being an employer.

I wonder how many expected free health care
Wait until everyone is being paid minimum wage because nobody can afford to pay people...that will kill obamacare. After that they wont hire people.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Wait until everyone is being paid minimum wage because nobody can afford to pay people...that will kill obamacare. After that they wont hire people.
Where am I... Business Management?

I heard today there was a slew of lay off notices from various contractors with contracts with the Fed. The POTUS asked that they be delayed until after Nov 6.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We better get ready for another onslaught of layoffs, and downsizings, with obamacare most mid size companies won't be able to afford to keep their current workforce. Even the part timers and underemployed are going to get cut even more. Thanks America for putting this bozo back in office.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm solo. I would not want to do what I do for $12 a hour.

$12 a hour x 40 = $480 gross. Single people where I live can't afford to pay rent, 1500 regular cab pick up loan, insurance, utilities, food, clothing, tv, internet, basic dental and medical care.

There are a lot skilled trade blue collar jobs that for the same level of hard work will pay a lot more then $12 a hour.

Yet as employer's many LCO's can't realize that those better paying jobs are going to be everyone looking for a job their first choice.

Those that get turned down for those jobs were not the cream of the crop. They still need work and are forced to take whatever the best they can get.

LCO's are hiring from the bottom of the barrel. Some times there is gem in there. Most times not.

Then Landscape jobs are seasonal so one is laid off through the winter.

Growing up a lot of construction workers got laid off for 3 months every year.
They kept going back to work in the spring for 2 reasons.

In those 9 months they made enough money to cover those 3 months they were laid off. After 20 years they would have a union pension.

All these LCO's dumb founded as to why they can't get good help.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Does anybody else use a written test on their application. I do. Its dirt simple. A little math, little green industry fill in the blank. The amount of time and body language tell me if the guy is even worth a shot. All but one of my guys is family from my wifes side or a friend of theirs that they are willing to vouch for. You can only train those who are capable of learning.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a pretty good idea. I'll try to implement something like that this winter to be ready for next spring.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
That's a pretty good idea. I'll try to implement something like that this winter to be ready for next spring.
Watching a grown man count on fingers over flash card math problems is hysterical.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I'm solo. I would not want to do what I do for $12 a hour.

$12 a hour x 40 = $480 gross. Single people where I live can't afford to pay rent, 1500 regular cab pick up loan, insurance, utilities, food, clothing, tv, internet, basic dental and medical care.

There are a lot skilled trade blue collar jobs that for the same level of hard work will pay a lot more then $12 a hour.

Yet as employer's many LCO's can't realize that those better paying jobs are going to be everyone looking for a job their first choice.

Those that get turned down for those jobs were not the cream of the crop. They still need work and are forced to take whatever the best they can get.

LCO's are hiring from the bottom of the barrel. Some times there is gem in there. Most times not.

Then Landscape jobs are seasonal so one is laid off through the winter.

Growing up a lot of construction workers got laid off for 3 months every year.
They kept going back to work in the spring for 2 reasons.

In those 9 months they made enough money to cover those 3 months they were laid off. After 20 years they would have a union pension.

All these LCO's dumb founded as to why they can't get good help.
Some good points here. Many in the industry want to take time off. Regardless they want so work too. Commercial helps.