Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Emailed Stihl, and they will warranty one of the units...the other unit being so old (2006) he couldn't warranty that one. So I'm pretty happy. I'll be out $40 and my own labor for one unit and zero on second unit. Sometimes a company needs to be reminded how much equipment you buy from them.

He did pull up warranty history for all HS45's and he said is was 5 units in last two years, none of them for handles. Not sure I believe it but what else can I do.

Now I guess I will ride them around in a specially padded box to make sure they don't break again.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnurseryman View Post
I have had nothing but trouble with the hs45. Been in the shop twice and still bogs down when running. Now its just wall art in the shop.
How old is it? Have you removed the spark arrester screen? On my first unit this was exactly the reason my would bog down. I have had zero problems with engines...did rebuild the carb on the 06 model about two years ago.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

got a new stihl br600 blower this year, its a back up so it just sits in shop most times,

anyway- its been to the shop 3 times in this year for repair, and the stihl dealer charged
me for repair each time! im not sure how stihl warrantee works, but i place blame equally on the dealer as well as stihl-- this is unacceptable

imo- the dealer is the face of the manufacturer

i think in your case the dealer should of stepped to the plate for a valued commercial customer and made things right asap--- thus keeping you a happy customer buying and servicing your small equipment with them
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
got a new stihl br600 blower this year, its a back up so it just sits in shop most times,

anyway- its been to the shop 3 times in this year for repair, and the stihl dealer charged
me for repair each time! im not sure how stihl warrantee works, but i place blame equally on the dealer as well as stihl-- this is unacceptable

imo- the dealer is the face of the manufacturer

i think in your case the dealer should of stepped to the plate for a valued commercial customer and made things right asap--- thus keeping you a happy customer buying and servicing your small equipment with them
My dealer did step in...offered the parts at cost...being a new dealer and having dealt with him personally at a business level prior to becoming a Stihl dealer I thought was honorable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
He claimed it was because they were hanging in the back of our truck and the vibration caused it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I remember stihl took that same approach when the 600 came out and it was breaking from hanging. Fact was they built a thin housing to reduce the weight. I just had shindawaw hedge trimmer with articulting blades and the housing broke. They covered it while in fact it was likely due to being transported in a rack.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

uggggggggggggggggg.... this thread makes my blood boil. I used to be very loyal to Stihl until they did the same song and dance to us. My issues were with a KM-110, the shaft went bad where the tool plugs in, then when we bought a brand new one (shaft), one side of the end of the shaft broke after the first day. They would not cover it even though it was pretty obvious it was the cast. Then we had a leak on a brand new KM unit from the fuel tank, guess what? they wouldn't cover that either. I also had an issue with a brand new handheld unit that had the fan go bad and sounded like it was a 20 year old blower, they blamed it on us saying it was dirty gas and that there was dirt in the fan, I said BS that that and the gas can were kept on the TOP of the truck in the rack, I have not had any issues with any of the other equipment from "dirty fuel" I also filtered the fuel and it was clean. Nothing but an excuse on their part.

I have had it with them and will be buying equipment from another company. while I do like Stihl equipment, I feel they will not stand behind there stuff anymore and are making sub-par equipment.

anyway sorry that you all are having issues too, very frustraiting to see a good company go bad.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just did a text search of the whole instruction manual and nowhere does it say not to hang the unit from it's handle.

Pretty cool the unit has a blade lock on it, neither my Shindaiwa or Echo units have that feature. I could see using that when climbing up on a ladder with it or between shrubs and a building...that you don't have to shut it off. I'll throw the brake on my chainsaws sometimes when I'm clambering around with them running.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't really matter, it's not a warranty item if it's not a manufacturing defect and if that were the case yours wouldn't be the only one with a broken handle and obviously it is, that's why it was denied and all the argument is moot, you folks can whine and cry all you want but the choice is either treat your equipment right or it will break so just pony up the dang cash and buy another handle because you can switch to another brand and break their handle and they will deny you too.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a lot depends on the dealer...I have not had many problems with Stihl...in fact it's been so few I've actually forgot about them until now...KM shaft, br600 coil and a couple fuel caps...all covered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Doesn't really matter, it's not a warranty item if it's not a manufacturing defect and if that were the case yours wouldn't be the only one with a broken handle and obviously it is, that's why it was denied and all the argument is moot, you folks can whine and cry all you want but the choice is either treat your equipment right or it will break so just pony up the dang cash and buy another handle because you can switch to another brand and break their handle and they will deny you too.
If th handle breaks because it's a poor design it's a defect. The fact is, it's still a poor design.
Posted via Mobile Device