Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sub Contracting

I am a small landscaping company who is going to start subcontracting out work like bobcat, masonry.Do advertise that I do this type of work on my flyers, ads even thought I subcontract out the work. Does subcontracting out work make a lot of money in terms of masonry bobcat work
Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend who owns a construction / renovation type company, he has no employees and rarely lifts a finger. He does all sub contracting. Does ok. Just have to be good at estimates :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I don't adverstise for work I don't do myself. I will take work outside my normal service area for regular customers though. I'm bringing in a tree service for one customer for a tree that landed on their house. I'll me charging my time to oversee the job and to haul off the brush as well as a markup on the sub fee. I'd rather not deal with subs because it can be a real headache to find good ones that you can trust to do a job well and when they say they will. Ultimately you're responsible for your subs so if they screw up it's on you.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I use a sub-contractor where we are, my workers compensation over-rides his.

This means, I am the prime contractor.
If the sub-contractor's company or any of their employees breaks the wcb rules,
my company gets fined.

Double check for the laws and your responsibilitiy in your area.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Personally I don't adverstise for work I don't do myself. I will take work outside my normal service area for regular customers though. I'm bringing in a tree service for one customer for a tree that landed on their house. I'll me charging my time to oversee the job and to haul off the brush as well as a markup on the sub fee. I'd rather not deal with subs because it can be a real headache to find good ones that you can trust to do a job well and when they say they will. Ultimately you're responsible for your subs so if they screw up it's on you.
Not only the above mentioned. You also are required to have copies of liability insurance from subs or they will be named as employees during an audit. The above is sound advice IMO, advertise what YOU can offer and if a customer requires more then bring in your subs.