Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Thats what I was getting at!

I put photos up recently of an 08 SZ with very aggressive 26" tires. It was for work on slopes. I have little doubt it worked fine except goodness knows how long those pumps and or wheel motors lasted. Would of been very hard on them thats for sure.

I like the idea of 26" tires but I use AT101's and dont think they come in that size.
I have been researching drives and the drive on the new mower is top notch,that is why Hustler backs the mower drive the way they do. If a person is willing to do a liitle research they can bring an older Super up to par with no problem but it will cost alot. That drive is exspensive and what you get for the money is really good. Hustler is not making any more money on that new mower.

I think the mower is to make a statement because they asked to much of the older cheaper parts and it gave them a bum rap because of the premature failures.

You can more than likely put the old White motors on the new Super or something similar and replace your Parker 280's if they ever went out for a fraction of the price of the stock setup.

The Whites can be found for 2 to 300 a piece in the States but a Parker 280 with the Hustler custom shuttle is probably 12 to 15 hundred a piece.

The guy I talked to who rebuilds hydraulics for a living said most people do not have the time to research mixing components but he said if you do it is way cheaper to run cheap surplus crap and just throw away and replace it.

He considered all ZTR Hydro's drives junk and said when I told him what the new Super uses the minimum system they would recommend to rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Word I got on the new Kaw 1000 FI motor was the brain module was to cheap and was not capable of metering the fuel correctly when air fuel mixture varied alot from sea level conditions.

That is why some manufactures stayed away from it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
LOL. I apologized to you a couple posts up as I was wrong and thinking of gearing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was just playing with you
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Smaller tires would give you a higher top speed. Larger tires would be slower but give you more power. Think of your dirt bike or mountain bike, bigger rear sprocket=easier up hills, smaller back sprocket=higher speed.
Think you may have gotten this backward.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Think you may have gotten this backward.
Yes I did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What exactly did you run at Retrodog's?
It was on a 72" BB 35hp Diesel. I know he bleeds BB mowers but Ive had my fill of them.
He is carrying Grasshopper now so I'm gonna take a look at those this spring since he is such a great dealer. I mainly went there to get a new Kawi backpack blower. He also carries Redmax handhelds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
It was on a 72" BB 35hp Diesel. I know he bleeds BB mowers but Ive had my fill of them.
He is carrying Grasshopper now so I'm gonna take a look at those this spring since he is such a great dealer. I mainly went there to get a new Kawi backpack blower. He also carries Redmax handhelds.
Posted via Mobile Device
What is it with BB ?, the price is right.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
What is it with BB ?, the price is right.
It's probably been deleted, my experience was 3 years ago now.

The problem is all the constant little things. They go through idler arms, pulleys, bearings, belts, etc. It was something every week. We do run machines 5 to 6 days per week 6 to 700 hours per season, occasionally 800. Scag is what I've always run with no issues.

I decided to try a BB as an experiment due to price and Retrodog being such an awesome dealer. I had one of the first Outlaws which had the frame crack on both sides over the wheel motors. It sat at BB factory for a month, and came back with welds on it that looked like the kids at the local FFA fixed. That was enough for me.

Granted Retrodog let me run his demo the whole time my mower was at the factory. He always went above and beyond as a dealer to resolve the frequent issues I had. Now that he carries Grasshopper I will be taking a close look at them next year.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
It's probably been deleted, my experience was 3 years ago now.

The problem is all the constant little things. They go through idler arms, pulleys, bearings, belts, etc. It was something every week. We do run machines 5 to 6 days per week 6 to 700 hours per season, occasionally 800. Scag is what I've always run with no issues.

I decided to try a BB as an experiment due to price and Retrodog being such an awesome dealer. I had one of the first Outlaws which had the frame crack on both sides over the wheel motors. It sat at BB factory for a month, and came back with welds on it that looked like the kids at the local FFA fixed. That was enough for me.

Granted Retrodog let me run his demo the whole time my mower was at the factory. He always went above and beyond as a dealer to resolve the frequent issues I had. Now that he carries Grasshopper I will be taking a close look at them next year.
I had a Scag TT and it was a great mower but to slow and rode like a tank, the front caster's bent to easy and the deck was not as tough as my XR7 by a long shot but the rest of the mower was a brick chit house besides the drive shaft going out.

I was going to buy a BB but every dealer back in 06 told me not to because their customer and dealer support sucked, your welds are just another long line of complaints I have heard about the professionalism of the company.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 AM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I had a Scag TT and it was a great mower but to slow and rode like a tank, the front caster's bent to easy and the deck was not as tough as my XR7 by a long shot but the rest of the mower was a brick chit house besides the drive shaft going out.

I was going to buy a BB but every dealer back in 06 told me not to because their customer and dealer support sucked, your welds are just another long line of complaints I have heard about the professionalism of the company.
Yeah there have been plenty of problems with the BB mowers. They do have a lot of good ideas, but they have a long way to go. A little less money on pointless advertising and more on product improvement, customer service, and dealer support would be a good start.

I run the Turf Tigers with Michigan seats and 10 psi in the back tires. They ride fine to me. Also always have run the 35hp Vanguard which will run 12 mph. Plenty fast enough for mowing. I get rid of them around 2000 to 2500 hours, and can still get a decent price for them since they have the highest resale of all ZTR's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.08404 seconds with 10 queries