Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about Leaf Plows

I have been entertaining the thought of getting a leaf plow to assist with my clean-ups. For those of you that have them, do you find when pushing leaves they get too packed together to easily vacuum up? I have made rows of leaves and pushed them with my Scag (without a leaf plow) and found when I went to vacuum them the pile was packed very tightly? When I use blowers to mound the piles, I can vacuum them up rather quickly. The pushed ones I seem to have to kick or rake them to loosen them up for vacuuming. Unfortunately my customers have me remove the leaves. It would be nice if they had woods I could push the leaves into. Does anyone else find the leaf plows pack the piles to tightly? Interested in others opinions before I spend the money.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

You need a bigger leaf vac.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

You're right Blakescape. I would be better off with a larger vac. I'm only running an 11or 16 HP model Billy Goat now (forget which). So you think a bigger vacuum would break the piles apart fine? They just seem so packed. I rake everything into the vacuum now because I want to make sure I'm not sucking up sticks, rocks, etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depending what kind of leaves and how many sticks and weather its wet out, pushing the leaves can make the piles very difficult to vac. And I use 20 hp vacs with 12 inch hoses. But you need to ask your self how much more time would you lose if your were still slugging it out with blowers. And that is how to compare it, not does it take longer to vac the leaves but did the job go quicker because you shaved hours off the lawn with the plow. When your moving 500-1000 pounds of leaves in a single push with the plow sometimes its hard to see your self trying to work that accost the lawn with just blowers.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The leaves do get packed but if you have help it doesn't matter too much. My brother and I always have two people feeding the loader whether the pile is loose or packed so it does not slow down our operation at all. The only time the leaf plow has slowed me down was when I was testing to see if I could move an acres worth of leaves with it. The ZTR pushed them but they were packed extremely tight. Idk if you have a welder but I'd recommend making your own because for the price of a mount and leaf plow you could buy a welder and the metal for several leaf plows.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=391444
Here is a link my thread in the pictures section which has a video of my plow in action. That pile would have literally taken hours to move with just blowers.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They do pack a little but I'm solo and would rather move the truck once verses following a wind row or trying to move too many leaves with the blower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They do pack a little but I'm solo and would rather move the truck once verses following a wind row or trying to move too many leaves with the blower.
Posted via Mobile Device