Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Do you have a Class A ?
Me? Yes. Does it matter?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Do you have a Class A ?
I have a class c
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Well with that logic you could tow 22,000 with a hyundai Your talking about being CDL legal only but there are other laws too. A 9200 GVWR truck is rated to tow around 10000
Not agueing because im sure your probally right, but what other laws are you talking about? There has to be a legal way to do it with a 3/4 ton, if not how do guys pulling a 3 car hauler do it? I got a friend of mine that gets pulled over on average 2xs a week and checked by DOT that's pulling a 3 car wedge with a 2500 cummins on a normal liecence
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Marek Marek is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,271
In MD you need a class A cdl to to a commercial trailer that is registered over 10k. A camper no but your dump trailer would need a class A
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
In MD you need a class A cdl to to a commercial trailer that is registered over 10k.
No you don't.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
I was told this too, but i talked to a DOT officer last week about it and he said you don't. He said as long as your not over the total 26k combined, and that the truck and trailers registration is really what they look at. "meaning" Pay the state a bunch of money in registration fees and your good, if not i'll give you a fine and we'll get our money anyway. I have come to the conculsion that there job isn't about safety its about how much money the state can make off us working ppl, I just want to have everything right so when they do pull me they can't give me a ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
That is not a legal rating.

Youve heard it before but your still a moron
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
Not agueing because im sure your probally right, but what other laws are you talking about? There has to be a legal way to do it with a 3/4 ton, if not how do guys pulling a 3 car hauler do it? I got a friend of mine that gets pulled over on average 2xs a week and checked by DOT that's pulling a 3 car wedge with a 2500 cummins on a normal liecence


That would be the trucks own limits. Rear end, tires, rims, etc.

Probably a fifth wheel. Most 3/4 tons are rated to tow around 14000 on a fifth wheel. But GCWR isnt listed on door jams so as long as your not over on your rear axle you get get away with towing more than the manufacturers spec.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Youve heard it before but your still a moron
Hmmmm. Who died and crowned you king dick?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
I think he's right though. In the eyes of the DOT it seems the numbers they care about are GVWR, GAWR, GCWR. Not anywhere does it say they are concerned with what Ford, Chevy, or Dodge print. Towing a fully loaded 14k dump with a ranger would get you bad attention and not to mention be grossly over your RGAWR, probably a violation. So again by following the ratings above the DOT has it well covered in terms of what you can do. Even some of the 3/4 ton trucks could be over their RGAWR with a fully loaded 14-16k dump. So again technically with a 9200 truck you could tow 16,800. But would the tongue of a fully loaded trailer like that be over your RGAWR? Now take my dually. I have a 4995lb payload rating. I need to weigh the truck first but lets say I have a usable 4000lbs of payload. I'm rated to 14,100 by Ford but I bet I could tow a 20k gooseneck (with CDL) and still be under my RGAWR but over Fords recommendation.

Not if you want to talk legalities of an accident. That's a different ball game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.07498 seconds with 9 queries