Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Didnt Hustler use the 04 ish hydros on the early XR7 deck machine like yours. Then change something in the system for 08 onwards. I cant remember exactly but I remember reading something about it.
They changed in mid 2007, went with the same brand White wheel motor but beefed it up, longer shaft with slightly different lengthened splines which distributed the pulling load better. I now have these upgrade wheel motors in my old mower, may last longer, may not, time will tell.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im hoping thats what I have, for the next owner. If they can get 3 or 400hrs without problems I'll be happy.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Puppy I've seen you mention bending the skirt in the low position. I have done it on mine. I think you would be alright with yours, judging by your pics you have a pretty nice manicured place so you probably know where any stumps or anything are to avoid them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Puppy I've seen you mention bending the skirt in the low position. I have done it on mine. I think you would be alright with yours, judging by your pics you have a pretty nice manicured place so you probably know where any stumps or anything are to avoid them.
Posted via Mobile Device
You would normally be correct; I should remember where every rock and tree root are located, but the older I get, the more forgetful I seem to become.

I might be flying along, and I run as fast as the mower will move without throwing me out of the seat, and be thinking about taking soil samples, studying soil samples, or as with tomorrow spreading poultry litter on crop land. I have many things that run through my mind everyday, and it seems as if my brain can't keep up as well as when I was in my 40s and 50s. I don't believe it's Alzheimers, but I do believe it may be halfheimers (about half way to full blown Alzheimers).

I guess what I'm saying is I just don't want to think about something hanging below my deck lip, because I can about guarantee I would hit something and bend it back, I've got tree roots that are protruding higher and higher out of the ground with each passing year.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You would normally be correct; I should remember where every rock and tree root are located, but the older I get, the more forgetful I seem to become.

I might be flying along, and I run as fast as the mower will move without throwing me out of the seat, and be thinking about taking soil samples, studying soil samples, or as with tomorrow spreading poultry litter on crop land. I have many things that run through my mind everyday, and it seems as if my brain can't keep up as well as when I was in my 40s and 50s. I don't believe it's Alzheimers, but I do believe it may be halfheimers (about half way to full blown Alzheimers).

I guess what I'm saying is I just don't want to think about something hanging below my deck lip, because I can about guarantee I would hit something and bend it back, I've got tree roots that are protruding higher and higher out of the ground with each passing year.
I can identify with running on "auto pilot". One of my best friends (now deceased) was a circuit judge, and he said he could do some of his best "thinking" and decision making while on his mower or tractor.

I also have tree roots on my 8 acres that grow a little taller each year, and it's easy to be running on pretty good and forget about a particular obstacle until it's too late. The momentum of these heavy mowers (at the speed they now run) can cause some damage in a hurry. At around 15 mph the accident is almost over before it started!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post

Halfheimers is also known as CRS, and I have that bad these days.

They say as we age, we shrink, so it isn't that the roots and rocks stick higher and higher out of the ground- they just start too look that way.