Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
I would get a John Deere over the exmark. Exmark has a great deck (Ultracut) for perfect cutting conditions, as condition get wetter and thicker quality goes does down a bit. Although Exmark and Toro machines are light and nimble compare to the competition but i just can't get over how over priced they are. Not saying Deere is much more affordable but Exmarks are pushing upper 11's....

Question though: How come you want to get into landscaping when you have a full time job?
Thank you guys very much for your imput. Greyst1, A lot of firefighters own their own companies since our schedules are typically 24 hours on duty followed by 48 hours off duty. Lots of guys/gals do construction, fire protection services, roofing, landscaping, CPR training etc. on their off days for extra $$$.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to Demo come Spring. You may wish to pick up something used until you make your decision. I'd suggest wait til mid May when grass is about as thick as it can be. Then demo & see which one works best.

Evaluate your dealer support. Responsiveness is key. Steer clear of disinterested grumpy or pushy dealers.

Go 100% legitimate. Few things upset me as much as civil servants part timing lawn care etc and never paying taxes, getting LLC'd, getting commercial vehicle tags etc and then expecting a decent salary from the tax paying public. Its not right, its not appropriate and its dishonest.

And yes, mulching leaves works fantastic. From experience, the Exmark mulches really well.

With Lawnsite- learn to use the thread tool. It'l save you lts of time and avoid repeat threads.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going 100% legit. LLC papers are being submitted at the beginning of next week. I am not trying to free-load and/or avoid paying taxes.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe'sLawnCare View Post
I am going 100% legit. LLC papers are being submitted at the beginning of next week. I am not trying to free-load and/or avoid paying taxes.
Im glad to here to hear that!

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well that's good, no one likes a double dipping tax cheat. Do you think you have what it takes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I haven't seen this mentioned but, how good is the warranty on both? That would be a big deciding factor with me and could be worth several thousand dollars in the long run.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned but, how good is the warranty on both? That would be a big deciding factor with me and could be worth several thousand dollars in the long run.
I'd say deere has a better warranty
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I did a little digging and the John Deere warranty is as pasted below.

9) Z900B Series and Z900M Series ZTrak Mowers
36 Months or 1200 Hours, Whichever Comes First
First 24 Months, No Hour Limitation
10) Z997, Z900A Series and Z900R Series ZTrak Mowers
36 Months or 1500 Hours, Whichever Comes First
First 24 Months, No Hour Limitation

The Exmark warranty is

Exmark Lazer Z X-Series, Lazer Z S-Series, and Vantage Turf Equipment
3 Year Limited Commercial Warranty
5 Year or 750 Hours Limited Consumer Warranty

Kind of a toss up I guess and it depends on the model as well.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Pennington Lawn Care, I appreciate you looking that up and posting it for all of us. I agree with you, kind of a toss up.

GreySt, I guess I would ask you to be more specific as to whether or not I think, " I have what it takes to make it." If you are asking me if I am some saavy business man who knows all the ins and outs of running a successful company, I would tell you, No, not yet.

If your asking me as to whether I am willing to put in long days(I used to work on a farm), working weekends, going the extra mile to please my customers, and most importantly learning from other professionals who have been in the business much longer that I have, I would say Yes.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Pennington Lawn Care, I appreciate you looking that up and posting it for all of us. I agree with you, kind of a toss up.

GreySt, I guess I would ask you to be more specific as to whether or not I think, " I have what it takes to make it." If you are asking me if I am some saavy business man who knows all the ins and outs of running a successful company, I would tell you, No, not yet.

If your asking me as to whether I am willing to put in long days(I used to work on a farm), working weekends, going the extra mile to please my customers, and most importantly learning from other professionals who have been in the business much longer that I have, I would say Yes.
Get ready to have a lot of old timers on here shoot you down and act like you a moron because you haven't been in the industry for 20 years.

Other than that I can tell you I have personally ran both, and found them to be really comparable in terms of quality. Most trailers here haul Exmark, but I believe that is probably the same across the board. They are the Kleenex of the lawn care world.