Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-10-2012, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you measured from the tips of each of your blades to the floor, exactly that is, for all blades? It seems to me that your deck just needs to be leveled. There's usually a specific procedure you follow to do it. I know that John Deere has an inexpensive guage desinged to measure the distance from your blades to the floor. http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...-AM130907.html
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lots of things can cause this issue were you jumping curbs? Hot dogging the mower i.e. popping wheelies ? if so you caster wheel brackets are bent.
have you properly greased the joints for the deck so that nothing is sticking?
lastly did you put all the hardware back on the bolts in the same manor you took them off when you changed blades? are the blades on right?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

No hot-dogging but i do have one side of the yard that is on a significant slope;

I will check the wheel brackets and the joints for the deck (do those take a zerk fitting to grease?)

I thought i hit all of the zerk fittings with the grease gun but i will double check back through;

The strange part of this was that it was a very good cut after the first mowing after new blade replacement (and all hardward replaced just as removed); So i'm thinking it has to do with play of the deck as you guys have also pointed out.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trouble Shooting Uneven Cut

The uneven cut is it on the slope or flat ground as well?
Yes just about all the moving joints have Zerk fittings on them. On the exmark there is one for each side and front and back and also for the handle. The deck should move pretty quickly and it is sticking the there is where your issue is.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

It does it on flat ground as well.

I couldn't find zerk fittings, but i do notice that when i'm sitting on concrete driveway that the deck doesn't seem to go all the way down to lowest point possible. I'm betting there is something that isn't allowing the deck to move freely.

Given i have never done any maintenance/grease/etc on the deck that could also be playing a factor;

Pulled the dixie chopper book that came with and there really isn't anything that shows zerk fitting locations for deck. I'll keep looking but may end up trying grease the various places where i see chains, springs, etc. until i get a free moving deck.

Tags
cut , cut quality , dixie chopper , uneven