Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know I am no mechanic, but I am currently slowly restoring a 71' Datsun 240Z and 3 FJ40 Landcruisers in the past, so I am familiar with some of them.

I know you got inner and outer calipers, some micrometers, telescopic T-gauges, no vernier calipers...that I recognize. My tools are not as nice as yours, I got them at Harbor Freight.
What tool is that on the upper right?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
You know I am no mechanic, but I am currently slowly restoring a 71' Datsun 240Z and 3 FJ40 Landcruisers in the past, so I am familiar with some of them.

I know you got inner and outer calipers, some micrometers, telescopic T-gauges, no vernier calipers...that I recognize. My tools are not as nice as yours, I got them at Harbor Freight.
What tool is that on the upper right?
That's a depth micrometer. Commonly used by master "techs" to measure the tread depth on front caster wheel tires!

......AMF!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Wanna Be a MasterTech....????
Hey, I got a set of Polish Vernier calipers I'll sell ya cheap, to add to yer collection of "tools ya hardly use anymore"

......AMF!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay...

The well seasoned among us, [dare I say old?] probably know what this is used for. I have had this tool for over 30 years, I like it's simplicity.
It is from West Germany.

Not the caliper, the round thingy.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
That's a depth micrometer. Commonly used by master "techs" to measure the tread depth on front caster wheel tires!
hmmm, I guess the Lincoln head penny test ain't good enough now a days?...lol...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The well seasoned among us, [dare I say old?] probably know what this is used for. I have had this tool for over 30 years, I like it's simplicity.
It is from West Germany.

Not the caliper, the round thingy.
The "round thingy" is just that.......a round "Thingy", or...................
Could it be? Dare I say........ a Treysit, AKA vibration tachymeter.

......AMF!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes and it works pretty darn good.

http://www.treysit.com/6.html

...."you can measure the number of revolutions and frequency of each running engine or operating machine with great accuracy.
With the TREYSIT Sirometer you do not need to access the often hard accessible shafts or turning parts, because it analyses the the number of revolutions or frequency through the vibration of the housing and shows it on two scales."

Not digital...lol.
This works on every engine I own. Simple and precise. It works by placing it on a engine housing and turning the dial. The wire with the yellow circle will vibrate. You turn the dial until the wire is stationary. When the wire is still, it gives you both the rpms and the resonance frequency of the engine.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
http://www.treysit.com/6.html

...."you can measure the number of revolutions and frequency of each running engine or operating machine with great accuracy.
With the TREYSIT Sirometer you do not need to access the often hard accessible shafts or turning parts, because it analyses the the number of revolutions or frequency through the vibration of the housing and shows it on two scales."

Not digital...lol.
This works on every engine I own. Simple and precise. It works by placing it on a engine housing and turning the dial. The wire with the yellow circle will vibrate. You turn the dial until the wire is stationary. When the wire is still, it gives you both the rpms and the resonance frequency of the engine.
Indeed! But to be a true " Master Mechanic" one must have a matched pair! One for clockwise rotation, and one for counterclockwise rotation!

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  65.0 KB

......AMF!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Indeed! But to be a true " Master Mechanic" one must have a matched pair! One for clockwise rotation, and one for counterclockwise rotation!

Attachment 260230
Fish, gotta hand it to ya, got all yer bases covered, a true "Master Mechanic" in the real sense..lol..

They might be very common, but when I saw this one for sale back in 1980' something, I bought it and never seen another since!

Last edited by captken; 11-12-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I gots one of dem.....Does dat make me a "Master Mechanic" ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!