Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not saying this is 100% true, but people that leave piles and piles of **** in their yard are slobs to me and don't have much respect for others. I mean, it's so damn disgusting and unsanitary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't keep mowing it if every turn you make you run over a pile. Myself, I can't stand running over dog cat s**t. To me the odor is worse than human s**t. but that's me. None of my properties have dogs but I'm only part time with just a handfull of properties. But these propeties are large (> 5 acres) and some of the neighbors dogs run on the properties leaving recent meals behind sometimes. This I can deal with but if it's a mine field I'm out of there.

Kevin
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the past I did drop some customers because of dog crap. I was full of pride and attitude when I fired them.
Now things have changed and I have two dog crap yards because I need the business. I am just keeping quiet for now. But I am getting skilled at scraping the wheels off on their driveways
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I would definitely. A little here and there, no big deal, but if you can't avoid it I would definitely consider it. Or, ask them to clean up the day prior.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol this thread is too funny. I had a customer whose yard was unreal. Said the kids were suppose to pick up the poo before we got there. Rarely it happened. Had to use 21" baggers in the back yard. Yes, there was a poo charge. If I recall correctly they had a golden retriever. Not the smallest piles.

And now my own yard is the worst one of them all. Have two dogs / horses. Big one is half lab half mastiff (130 pounds) and the smaller one is half lab half rot (100 pounds). As my father so eloquently put it, "He don't poop, he shits!"
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruSomethingOrOther View Post
Lol this thread is too funny. I had a customer whose yard was unreal. Said the kids were suppose to pick up the poo before we got there. Rarely it happened. Had to use 21" baggers in the back yard. Yes, there was a poo charge. If I recall correctly they had a golden retriever. Not the smallest piles.

And now my own yard is the worst one of them all. Have two dogs / horses. Big one is half lab half mastiff (130 pounds) and the smaller one is half lab half rot (100 pounds). As my father so eloquently put it, "He don't poop, he shits!"
Lmao @ he don't poop, he shits!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruSomethingOrOther View Post

I agree if its your own lawn do what you want. I had a customer for 3 years. The first 2 they took the dogs to the back property to poop. This year they let them poop it the patio area. I picked it up and threw in in the a back yard. I showed up and found a sign in the back lawn that said no dumping dog poop. I left a note that I would just scoop and dump in their garbage can and let me know before I continue service. I have not done service since. I guess I lost the account.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I guess it would depend on how bad it actually is.

so far I've just avoided them when I'm trimming and let the mower run over them when mowing.

I have a dog myself and have never picked up after it.
Classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Not saying this is 100% true, but people that leave piles and piles of **** in their yard are slobs to me and don't have much respect for others. I mean, it's so damn disgusting and unsanitary.
Posted via Mobile Device
^^^ You saved me from having to say it.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have dropped one account before over messy dog yards and I'm about to do the same with another. I get tired of getting it all over the mower and sometimes I'll get into a pile that makes me gag...light colored and sticky and smelly as all hell.

One tip...keep your mouth closed when trimming and carry a spare shirt!

I just recalled that I dropped one other but that was after the first mow. I talked to the lady about it and she said that they never pick up the dog crap and probably never will. She won't, the kids won't and the husband can't really (wheel chair).
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Well i think there is something worse than hosing off tires - Hitting crap with a trimmer, and then frantically hosing off your face and spitting.
I was watching the show, Monster inside of us. This little girl got a deadly parasite from dog feces. Dogs that haven't been wormed regularly can carry deadly parasites. But really, any feces can contain deadly bacteria and parasites. They may live in you a long time and you not know it. That is why they say to wash your hands after using the restroom. On another episode there was a Plumber who had his spleen removed awhile back so his immune system wasn't that good. He contracted a parasite or bacteria from sewage splatter and almost died. He had to give up the plumbing business

Last edited by Charles; 11-13-2012 at 06:14 AM.