Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kawasaki

Brian, can you please research and give an accurate answer as to why Hustler does not offer the Kawasaki FX1000V-DFI? I would have loved to have this engine on my new Super Z, and honestly, to me it seems like a no-brainer, you get 2 additional hp, with a fuel savings of 25 to 30%.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Sponsor

I'll look deeper into it but I didn't think it's ready yet. Kawasaki has been having some issues with the release of that engine. We have an agreement with Kawasaki to use their engine when ever possible. We clearly know the demand for a EFI/DFI engine and when there is a quality one available I'm sure we will jump on it. I'll ask around next week to give you a more factual answer instead of my gut answer.

Brian O

Brian O
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
I'll look deeper into it but I didn't think it's ready yet. Kawasaki has been having some issues with the release of that engine. We have an agreement with Kawasaki to use their engine when ever possible. We clearly know the demand for a EFI/DFI engine and when there is a quality one available I'm sure we will jump on it. I'll ask around next week to give you a more factual answer instead of my gut answer.

Brian O

Brian O
I find this somewhat strange, when talking with Bobcat I was told their company had done extensive testing on the FX1000V-DFI and in their findings it was so far advanced they made the decision not to even offer the FX1000V on their Predator Pro. They told me the engine was considerably more powerful feeling (felt like a wider margin than 2 hp due to responsiveness) than the carburetored model, and from their testing had seen fuel usage numbers down in the 1.25 gph range, and this is from closer to 2 gph on the non fuel injected engine.

The exact statement made to me was, "we felt like there was no reason to offer a carbed engine when the DFI was so advanced, and with the cost difference being very close the fuel savings would make up the small difference in price very quickly. We would fall behind in sells if not able to sell the Predator Pro with the DFI at a very competitive price."

I am going to be upset if Hustler brings the DFI into their line-up on the Super Z with me just buying a new one and preferring the DFI. I do not like carburetor type engines after owning and operating a fuel injected mower for 6 yrs. I much prefer the DFI with 2 extra hp and its great savings in fuel used.

When Bobcat speaks as strongly in favor of the FX1000V-DFI (and they have done their homework), it makes no sense as you stated; Kawasaki is having issues with the release of the engine. I think Hustler needs to get a little better handle on what is actually taking place concerning the pros and cons of this engine. These are very conflicting stories, one mower company (Bobcat) will not use the carburetor type Kawasaki, and Hustler does not seem to know what to think about the DFI model. I believe a conference needs to take place between Kawasaki and Hustler.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Sponsor

Puppypaws,
I'm in your camp on the DFI/EFI engines. I asked for a little time to get you factual information of what's coming. The last I heard was the engine was not ready yet from Kawasaki. I didn't make it to Louisville this year. Let me get updated and I will post my findings. Then we can debate. When you are one of the top three commercial lawnmower manufactures, engine companies are line up asking us to use their engine. If Kawasaki had a DFI operational I'm sure we had it on a machine or two.

Brian O
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Sponsor

Puppy paws,
The new Kawasaki FX1000DFI has a CPU module the uses about 4 amps. The charging capability today of this engine is not enough to run our Clutch, the CPU, and our fan on the radiator for the Hyperdrive and have enough power to keep the battery charged. Start putting accessories on the unit (lights) and you'll have even more issues. There is a stronger charging system (30amp) coming this spring and at that time we will look at this engine again. I've seen charging issues on our normally aspirated engines and respect our engineers for not traveling down that road again. Personally a big fan of the EFI/DFI engines. Great fuel economy, quick response time, cold weather starting. Not ready for our complete fleet to go injected, but I'm sure we'll have something once Kawasaki increases the amps on their FX1000DFI.

Brian O
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
Puppy paws,
The new Kawasaki FX1000DFI has a CPU module the uses about 4 amps. The charging capability today of this engine is not enough to run our Clutch, the CPU, and our fan on the radiator for the Hyperdrive and have enough power to keep the battery charged. Start putting accessories on the unit (lights) and you'll have even more issues. There is a stronger charging system (30amp) coming this spring and at that time we will look at this engine again. I've seen charging issues on our normally aspirated engines and respect our engineers for not traveling down that road again. Personally a big fan of the EFI/DFI engines. Great fuel economy, quick response time, cold weather starting. Not ready for our complete fleet to go injected, but I'm sure we'll have something once Kawasaki increases the amps on their FX1000DFI.

Brian O
Thanks for that information...I believe when Hustler gets an adequate charging system implemented they will begin offering the DFI.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Sponsor

I'll put money on that!

Brian O