Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
So you say flyers are a waste, which in some cases they are and sometimes they are not. But how does one get from 10 to 30 accounts? Word of mouth takes a very long time to get from 10 to 30.. I understand that ones you have the 30 accounts you wont have much time to handle passing out fliers. Im in the same boat as the OP

To the OP I was going to start handing out fliers in the next two weeks for next season. Thinking about giving them a "special rate" if they sign up before January 1st or something. Also since you're not allowed to anything in the mail box. I was thinking to buy doorknob bags and but the fliers in that, and hang them on the flag. Or even the door knob. Good luck
And hope the neighborhoods you target don't have no solicitation signs posted
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flyers are a waste now a days. so much easier and more effective using the postal service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
And hope the neighborhoods you target don't have no solicitation signs posted
Posted via Mobile Device
Dont worry I'm well aware of them. I even asked the mail man to clarify what I can and cannot do..
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
No one is hassling anyone. They should change the name of this to babysite or cumbayasite....it was a joke, calm down newguy. I swear, I have never seen more crybabies gather in one place in my life.

The good news is that if you offend someone, chances are they wont be around next year at this time and there will be a new crop of guys asking whether or not they should hand out fliers or use newspaper ads, or start a new lowballer thread. They probably won't be able to use the search function either.
Yeah, maybe you're right. But the guy asking the question might have not known you were joking. Here this guy is coming to a site where he hopes to read advice from professionals but in turn he gets scoffers.

You tell me calm down...okay, but I'd rather lend a thoughtful response to someone's question rather than be sarcastic and rude.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Yeah, maybe you're right. But the guy asking the question might have not known you were joking. Here this guy is coming to a site where he hopes to read advice from professionals but in turn he gets scoffers.

You tell me calm down...okay, but I'd rather lend a thoughtful response to someone's question rather than be sarcastic and rude.
If someone doesn't know how to price a job, or grow their business advice is needed. I agree with you on that part, but how many thoughtful responses can you give to the same questions? You also hit the nail on the head with reading advice from professionals, people should use the search feature to read threads pertaining to their question. Then if there are additional questions they have they should start a new thread. Just an idea....
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pass out flyers and speak with people
get a yard sign for yards you are working IN
craigslist ads
good luck
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It takes creativity these days, and passing out flyers and waiting on word of mouth ain't gonna get you far, that is any decent amount of work, your gonna have to come up with a lead generating system, such as the one I have in place and it gets me two or three new accounts a week, it's Nov and I'm still getting new accounts, am I surprised? a little, but my system is working 24/7 so I shouldn't be surprised at all. This is the technology age and if you want to grow your business you had better adapt. The days of flyers and door knocking are over, you have to be able to reach the masses, and technology allows you to do that now. Don't expect someone to lay it in your lap, go out and figure it out.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really didn't read all the responses... but I started out passing out flyers and go door to door and that really helped... most people on here do their own thing but its all the same method in essence...

I sold out at around 50 clients give or take a few... I had 10-15 clients first year about 30 second year and 47-50 my final year... what most people don't like to do that I did was foreclosed properties... people whine and complain about those but they paid me big money and was way easier to deal with... no client harrassing you, paid each and everytime because it was a bank paying me. I had about 15 foreclosed properties anything from a apartment complex (small lol) to abandoned houses and I even had a few small companies go under that needed maintained. WHile people will say they're hard to deal with etc... they were easy and made me a lot of money...

to answer your question... no one will give you a answer that will work for you... I'm in sales for insurance... i've been a sales person for 2 fortune 500 companies and can tell you what someone tells you will not work for you... take a few notes from what people say then do your own thing... knock on doors, cold call tons of people, send quotes even when they didn't ask... I did all kinds of things when I was in business... I am just now starting up again and I have already found 3 commercials clients that I am most likely going to be signing if I choose to start back up next year... all depends on you... if you suck at sales and are better at doing the work then showing it... i wouldnt suggest go door to door then... if you have good interpersonal skills go door to door in neighborhoods you currently service and say hey hi how are you i service such and such and i'd like to give you a free mow for a trial period if you'd be interested in signing me for a long term week to week mowing schedule. I'm honest guy, you call me anytime you need something fixed, you don't call a 1-800 number...

Read a sales book or two but in all reality a CEO knows how to bullshit his way to the top, his employees do all the numbers.

sorry about my rant ha. just trying to be honest. what i do wont always work for you and what you do wont always work for me... you got 10-15 clients already... how did you get those? use that method seemed like it worked
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

It will take some time. Different things work for others. Just keep on trying every "vehicle for advertisement". You have to always stay positive, just remember that.