Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How difficult to install a new KawFH541V?

I have never done an install and do not have much experience, but how involved is it to pull off and old engine and replace with a new? It is an Exmark TurfTracer and I would be replacing the existing electric start with a recoil. Small Engine Warehouse has them new shipped for $1000 bucks.

Where could I really foul things up that could not be fixed?

How much would a mechanic charge for the install? (How much am I really saving?)

Would there be items other than the muffler that have value from the old one?

Seems like a good off-season project.
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this engine a direct replacement (ie same engine thats in it now)? Theres a few variables. Idk what the book rate or engine replacement is time wise but the local exmark dealership by me has a shop rate of $80/hr. How long it would take me to do it vs how long the dealership charges are probably two different things.

Short answer, in my opinion replacing an air cooler engine is fairly basic...not too involved.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was about 500 for labor to change a fx801
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

4 bolts for the motor, thottle cable , choke cable , unplug the harness , fuel line, electric clutch if it has one, aswell the pulley above it. I am not sure if the tracer has anyshields that has to come off, this is what has to be done for a bobcat. I am sure it is not much different. if it has an electric clutch , some can be a real pia to get off. and do not be surprised if you ruin it
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
It was about 500 for labor to change a fx801
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, $500 bucks sounds like a GREAT deal for the dealer....6+ hours of labor?
Thought it might be done for half of that - Guess they get to include lunch & smoke breaks because you are not watching...
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like Dave said, 4 bolts, gas line, choke, etc. It's actually pretty simple I have done a few. The hardest part is getting the pulley off and back on the new one. It's not hard just takes a little patience. I'd keep your old muffler and maybe the choke. Some come with a new muff and some don't
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going to make an offer of $250, maybe get someone to come to my garage.
In this economy, $250 for half's a days work is not that bad.
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

engine swap

If you didnt live in ga and i didnt live in ny I would do that for 250 all day long.It takes about 1 and 1/2 hrs to do that after doing a couple
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever worked on any of your equipment in any way? Or is this the last thing you'll ever replace on any of your equipment and you wouldn't benefit from learning to do it yourself? It really is extremely simple. 4 bolts connect the engine to your mower. (look at your mower for bolts that look like they do just that. 1 on each corner) Once you get those off there is a bolt underneath the mower that connects a pulley to the crankshaft. Remove that. I use an impact wrench for that one. You need a gear puller to get the pulley off the crankshaft. (under $10 at harbor freight). Once you have removed the insane amount of 5 bolts and the pulley, the engine itself is not connected to the mower anymore. Just remove the gas line, throttle cable, and ground (ground is a wire connected to one of the 4 mounting bolts from my experience). I don't think I've forgotten anything else. Take off engine and install new one in the opposite order you took off the old one. Don't be afraid to learn how to do something that will save you money and more importantly time. Unless you have a personal mechanic that's on call for only you.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
Have you ever worked on any of your equipment in any way? Or is this the last thing you'll ever replace on any of your equipment and you wouldn't benefit from learning to do it yourself? It really is extremely simple. 4 bolts connect the engine to your mower. (look at your mower for bolts that look like they do just that. 1 on each corner) Once you get those off there is a bolt underneath the mower that connects a pulley to the crankshaft. Remove that. I use an impact wrench for that one. You need a gear puller to get the pulley off the crankshaft. (under $10 at harbor freight). Once you have removed the insane amount of 5 bolts and the pulley, the engine itself is not connected to the mower anymore. Just remove the gas line, throttle cable, and ground (ground is a wire connected to one of the 4 mounting bolts from my experience). I don't think I've forgotten anything else. Take off engine and install new one in the opposite order you took off the old one. Don't be afraid to learn how to do something that will save you money and more importantly time. Unless you have a personal mechanic that's on call for only you.
Sounds like I am going to do it myself - Just didn't seem difficult, but when the dealer quotes crazy labor costs, and one guy here on the forum mentioned $500, just thought there was more to it than it looks.....
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers