Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Fish....you almost aced it...both spark testers HEI...2 different production styles. And of course a Fluke 77.
They let 2 stroke mechanics take 4 stroke certification tests too...you'd prolly do OK...
I've had that funky looking 2 headed hatchet for about 20 years..got it in an old box of tools I bought.
The concensus of old timers and tool collectors I talked to was that it was a tobacco leaf cutter...
Though I'm not really sure...made a real good flange bearing removal tool.....
If this test were given 2 years ago or so Fish would have aced it. The tester with the nut in the end of it is what was to be used for CD or HEI ignition and should have HEI right on it. The one without the nut was used for non CD ignition. Kohler has since discontinued the one with the nut and say to use the one without the nut for everything as of about 2 years ago. I personally have seen a bad CD ignition module fire the tester without the nut and not fire the tester with the nut and it would not run the engine. I still feel both testers should be made but that is just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Steam....I've had similar results with those testers...makes it tough when you don't know when to trust your test tools..
If Fish didn't spend all day getting all that 2 stroke stuff running...he'd have aced it anyway..

That U joint puller is so old that the only name on it is ....pat pending...
Dutch....maybe I can get you a scratch and sniff pic of ribs as they come off the grill...
It might hold you over until you get close enough to actually pull a slab out of the smoker yourself..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper, if your were a little closer and the stuff is as good as you claim, I'd attempt a "drive by" 5 finger discount.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
maybe I can get you a scratch and sniff pic of ribs as they come off the grill...

Slapper, That'd be pretty easy to do...... Hold a rib pic over the flute for a bit then Slap it in a zip-loc and mail it out !

Yer throw'n that "old" word around pretty good eh.....

Here's one fer ya..... I'm pretty sure it was made before you were;

Oh..... As usual it's four stroke.....two's not enough for me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Slapper, if your were a little closer and the stuff is as good as you claim, I'd attempt a "drive by" 5 finger discount.

Dutch..... One of these days, I'm gonna step out the back door and follow that smoke cloud south......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A vintage (trying not to use the word OLD ) valve cutter ?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your on the right track but I'ma gonna play hard ball, It doesn't "cut valves" but plays a part in doing so......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another stab in the dark--it sets the proper face angle when grinding the valve.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Your on the right track but I'ma gonna play hard ball, It doesn't "cut valves" but plays a part in doing so......
Hmmm....running out of aces...
Surely one of the 200 or so folks following this thread knows the answer...
RestroRob may be a seasoned professional...( didn't use the word OLD )...but don't let that intimidate you...
If you try to ignore and see thru the rust....the answer will be obvious.....maybe....
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Another stab in the dark--it sets the proper face angle when grinding the valve.
I think Dutch the other "seasoned" one got it......

My set is packed away right now but I found these pics on the net, This tool was a must back in the day to re-face/set stone angle for proper valve "grinding".

You would remove the drill/stone assembly from the centering guide in the block/head (above pic) and slide it over the center vertical shaft of the tool I posted, Adjust the desired angle and the pointed adjustable cutter has a diamond tip.....

Since this was my grandfather's tools I figure their in the mid 40's maybe early 50's......

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper, it ain't how many aces you're holding--it's the number of cards in your deck--us old timers are holding alot of cards, maybe even some up our sleeves. For an old fart, two correct answers out to be worth a second rack of ribs!

Rob, although I had not seen your tool you posted first, I recognize the box, stones and the electrical tool from some time between 1944 and 1948 when my Dad had an International Farmall M in the shop for a valve job--at the time the shop was grinding the valve seats in the head. Never did see the angle setting device used. I also recognize the magazine ad from the same era but can't recall the source. Pretry strange that I recall that stuff but can't remember where I last put my little flashlight during a job!!!