Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you first year I would stick with C-9's and some wreaths and garland. There are a few places here in Texas to buy bulk wire and bulbs from. That will limit your investment the first year and get your feet wet.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are an easy fix with c-7 and c-9, incandescant mini, but LED mini thats a whole nother world. Just starting out, I would stay with c-7 and c-9, easy up, easy down, looks nice, great variety.

As for traveling to Omaha, I think they are done with the classes for the year, I went, truthfully tons of information. It is far from cheap to fly out from here I understand that all to well.

I have gotten to the point, I don;t even bring the Light LInks up, unless they really exeplify that they want something dfferent than anyone else, just to much $ for the people I have dealt with so far as a whole. I am playing with the rental idea this year, so that will create another option.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean5912 View Post
and i know that the money all depends on what the customer wants.. its like starting out landscaping.. your not sure what you should charge for mulch, or sod, or trimming.. i dont know what to charge a man hour to put stuff up... and take it down.. or replace if theres a problem.
In C's you need to come up with a "per foot" price. Which includes product, timer, installation, take down, storage and probably a small amount for a built in service call if needed. This price will vary depending if you push incandescent or LED. With LED your price will be higher but your service calls will most likely be less and you runs will be longer.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Sponsor

I guess if I were just starting out, I wouldn't worry about having inventory on hand, just some demo lights. You can get product in 2-3 days.

But, if you are worried, my starter package would be:

-A few hundred warm white LED C9's
-A 1000' spool of spt-1 C9 wire with 12" spacing
- plugs for spt-1 wire
-Roof clips
-a couple cases of warm white 5mm 70L strands

This will be a simple start for you that most customers are going to want anyway. Start simple and build off of that, or you will end up pulling in too many directions. Stick with C9's for roof lines so everything is standardized in your shop. Same for 5mm style lights.

Being that you are new, I would build around using LED"s. We are just a few years away from not having incandescent bulbs, so you don't want to get stuck trying to service lights you can't get anymore. Plus you'll have less failures, less extension cords, less power requirements. All which will save you time and money.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have directed so many new folks to read the old threads, but I know it is a bit intimidating. there are 600 plus pages of threads, with probably 10-20 posts in each thread. so I can understand it is a bit overwhelming. but you need to dedicate 2 hours a night of reading each thread going back in time for the next 2 weeks. all the answers you will seek are about 24 hours of reading away.

I always try to encourage folks to get a list similar to hotrods and do the front of thier home and a friend or family member. clear c-9's, run the cords, timers, learn to put all the clips on the same side, etc.

It is way cheaper to buy a case of incan c-9s at a 1000 bulbs than a case of 500 led's, so maybe start there. 1000 ft spool of 12" spacing

I would get a 6 foot or m26 little giant ladder on ebay, that will do 80-90% of everything you need to do, and maybe a 32' or 40' extension ladder when you sell a job that needs it.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

finally had a chance to breathe with all the cleanups, ive had a bunch of calls on the lights already. one customer specifically wants the blue lights, and i am pushing the LED's as mentioned earlier. is it a no brainer to cut your own lines and splice on the plug ends? i just signed on with holidynamics and am pretty stoked about getting up and running and at least do a couple jobs this season to get my feet wet. im finding alot of people had a guy do roof lines on colonials including all peeks for a couple hundred dollars and dont like my pricing. i think its just everything.. everyone wants that 10 dollar an hr college kid. i saw someone on craigslist advertising fall cleanups for 25 an hr....