Register free!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Who has seen a Pro-C module fail?

Like the header asks, who has?
I have been working with Pro-C's for at least fifteen years and had a first today.
Module two out of four wasn't transferring power properly. AC voltage was fluctuating between 0.5 and 9 volts. The remaining three were fine.
First for me.
Checked the ribbon strip, no problems and obviously no problems with the transformer since modules 1, 3 and 4 were alright.
Is this a sign the chassis is getting ready to crap out?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had several of them fail in the last year (probably 10 or so). Usually it's the older gray modules but I've had the problem with a couple of the black ones also. Sometimes I've been able to replace the module and get it working, sometimes, if there is room, I'll skip the station that isn't working in the controller by moving the wire to one that is.

This is the reason I've switched to installing the ESP-4M when customers need a new controller. Other than lightning damage, they've been bulletproof for me.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my problems have been with the pro-c permanent transformers.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Who has seen a Pro-C module fail?

I had a bad one last week and went through my truck and found 3 and none of them worked. I never Install proC controllers One out of 10 I see the display isn't working.. Rarely do I have Problems with the ESP
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched to ESP exclusively last year. I haven't had one problem out of probably 100 controllers. Before I switched I had problems with XC, SRC and Pro-C... not alot of failures but probably 3-5%.

I have seen a bad module, but it isn't often.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are not likely to find any popular controller is 'bulletproof' ~ you play the odds
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the guys bring in bad controllers 10-11 times this year. Since all we do is install, they were straight from the box and not working.

From what I heard Pro-c had a bad run on some parts. Most, if not all of our problems were solved by swapping out the face. Hunter took it back and gave us credit.

What I have learned is that every now and then a product has a bad run. That is not enough reason to call it junk and move on.

We had a bad run of rainbird valves a few months ago. About 2 of 10 had molding problems which were causing the valves to leak. We returned all the valves we had in stock, waited a few months, and the problem was solved. The install crews were pissed, because they were having to dig up new valves and replace them once or twice per install.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Is there a reason why you Choose Hunter over Rehnberg controller?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rehnberg makes bagels, not sprinkler controllers
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I have had the guys bring in bad controllers 10-11 times this year. Since all we do is install, they were straight from the box and not working.

From what I heard Pro-c had a bad run on some parts. Most, if not all of our problems were solved by swapping out the face. Hunter took it back and gave us credit.

What I have learned is that every now and then a product has a bad run. That is not enough reason to call it junk and move on.

We had a bad run of rainbird valves a few months ago. About 2 of 10 had molding problems which were causing the valves to leak. We returned all the valves we had in stock, waited a few months, and the problem was solved. The install crews were pissed, because they were having to dig up new valves and replace them once or twice per install.
Does say something about QC however.