Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

It does sound like it's paying off. I wish I had the same outlook on life when I was your age, I am 33 and it's hard trying to make up for lost time.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
Thanks I do like my 1996 f350 with a 7.3 turbo diesel with 271,000 miles and all original body panels even though it was used as plow truck with a 2 yard sander for its whole life, and before me it used to tow a 35ft fishing boat and had crab cages loaded to the top of the cab 3x a week. a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into getting this setup. heck i missed out on pretty much all of my teenage years to get to where I am today. I can't even count the number of years I didn't even celebrate my birthday and just worked the day before, the day of and the day after. Instead of getting high, or drunk like 90% of the kids I went to school with did for every one of their teenage birthdays. It's starting to pay off, I should really see the benefits next year when I buy a house on my own with no help, and hopefully a really nice car in cash.
I commend you. I am the same way. Landscaping got me away from trouble. Drugs, alcohol and partying was in everyones blood in highschool. Most of my buddies got out of high school lucky to have a 3.0 gpa(decent) and not really taking anything out of school. They went to college and half of them did horrible the first year because classes were tough and partying was too important to them.

I came out of highschool with a 4.2 gpa and a business with equipment valued at about 60,000 dollars liquidated and customers to make a well established company happy. I never have worked on my birthday and always had my guys work or rescheduled work, but i did work long days after class in highschool, in the summer and early mornings in the winter. Sure,I missed out on a lot,but its worth it now. My friends will be graduating in a year and a half with degrees, and no job opportunities (or not many) and i will have a degree and a business to support me and my (hopefully) future wife.

Good luck RSK. Work always looks good and be proud of who you are, not what you missed out on. You have your whole life to enjoy and play with all your toys you can buy with all the money you will be making, and have fun with your friends and family.

-Jason

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I commend you. I am the same way. Landscaping got me away from trouble. Drugs, alcohol and partying was in everyones blood in highschool. Most of my buddies got out of high school lucky to have a 3.0 gpa(decent) and not really taking anything out of school. They went to college and half of them did horrible the first year because classes were tough and partying was too important to them.

I came out of highschool with a 4.2 gpa and a business with equipment valued at about 60,000 dollars liquidated and customers to make a well established company happy. I never have worked on my birthday and always had my guys work or rescheduled work, but i did work long days after class in highschool, in the summer and early mornings in the winter. Sure,I missed out on a lot,but its worth it now. My friends will be graduating in a year and a half with degrees, and no job opportunities (or not many) and i will have a degree and a business to support me and my (hopefully) future wife.

Good luck RSK. Work always looks good and be proud of who you are, not what you missed out on. You have your whole life to enjoy and play with all your toys you can buy with all the money you will be making, and have fun with your friends and family.

-Jason
I really know how yall feel. I'm still in high school. Drugs and partying is all everybody talks about these days. Lets just say that they are distant friends now not enemies. It sucks seeing your friends pissing their life away but they made the decsion. Its a battle everyday. But I'm not that kind of guy. I want to do something great with my life not screw it up.

Sorry to get all personal on you, But I felt like I needed to speak up.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same outlook as you guys and it pays off to be young and focused. I am a big fan of your truck I've always wanted one just like it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, i'm looking for one identical but a rack body dump, i spent 3-4hrs a day for 3 weeks in march looking for the truck before i found it. I just got 2 calls today for one plowing, one for a clean up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice setup/work, It's good to see when all the hard work pays off and you can sit back and look at what you've accomplished!! I think the last birthday I didn't work was when I was 9? Not really that important of a day, I do however work half days for both of my boys' birthdays. Keep plugging at it and good things will happen.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you for compliments and encouragement. It definitely does. Remeber when i had my 48" tiger cub, no bagger, a tilt trailer with no working lights, bald tires and no brakes and now my setup is pretty legit, still need to get my trimmer racks on and blower racks but i'm not sure if i want to keep my 16' trailer or go up to 18' big tex 70pi which can hold more weight or maybe even 10pi which has 5000lb axles for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why do you need a bigger trailer? Do you need more room or need to haul more weight?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More weight, and more room, right now my cheetah with the bagger and little wonder is kinda full. Depending on what happens next year i may add another cheetah. Defintely going to sell my little wonder for a hurricane 314 in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bought a 20' Pequea deckover because of the space problem, a 72" deck with the blower on the side of the deck is wider that the ID of our 16' utility trailer. The deckover is great, plenty of room and it's rated for 9,999 GVW.