Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Large Scale Blueprints

I usually use giant graph paper (25x30) for the original to scale sketches of projects, and up until now use that to show to clients if they even ask to see the actual plans. I know some people use standard size sheets and print it off the computer but for this project it stretches from front to back of house and has a lot of detail, so that won't work.

I really haven't put much thought doing something a little more "professional" like real blueprints before now because most of my designs I can fit on smaller paper or are fairly basic so it isn't needed. I have a new client who is definitely going to want to see designs and I want it to look as good as possible, with a lot of detail

Question is I have been reading up on how to get them copied, and I can't find any info on the internet if a local print shop would have this stuff, or where to go to get it done. I read you need a "Blueline machine" to copy the original, or a large format printer but that only does black/white.

I just can't figure out if a local shop would have this type of equipment, or I need to send it somewhere or what. Most of their websites are pretty basic and are lacking this detail.

So how do you all do this and where do you go?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume by blueline machine you mean a diazo machine? Are you currently drawing on vellum? If not, that's what you'll need to do to get it blueprinted. Only a reprographics shop is likely to have one, and these days those are getting harder to find.

If you just want a bond paper drawing copied onto bond paper, Kinkos can do that all day long. It's even self serve at most of them. You may, however, find it cheaper at a blueprint shop. The one near my office will scan a drawing, reprint it, and email an archive copy to me in both PDF and TIFF format for less than what Kinkos charges just to copy.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
I assume by blueline machine you mean a diazo machine? Are you currently drawing on vellum? If not, that's what you'll need to do to get it blueprinted. Only a reprographics shop is likely to have one, and these days those are getting harder to find.

If you just want a bond paper drawing copied onto bond paper, Kinkos can do that all day long. It's even self serve at most of them. You may, however, find it cheaper at a blueprint shop. The one near my office will scan a drawing, reprint it, and email an archive copy to me in both PDF and TIFF format for less than what Kinkos charges just to copy.
Yeah my father used to be in the printing business and they are a dying breed with all the computer tech out there now. That is one of the reasons I was wondering what method other people did to get theirs done these days. And yes a diazo machine was what I was referring to.

Guess I'm just gonna have to call a bunch of them tomorrow and see what they can offer or something, hope there is something close in my area.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do like the feel of the blueline paper. Honestly, if you're that hardcore into it you could always look on eBay and probably grab a setup for not a lot of money. I feel like I know three architects or designers here locally who have diazo machines sitting in a closet gathering dust.

Hate that smell though.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 1980's called. They want their blueprints back.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

office depot does mine for me. on large scale designs do multiple zoomed in images of the design. Are you working on a cad program or hand drawing the design??

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
The 1980's called. They want their blueprints back.

Posted via Mobile Device
Truth. But that diazo paper takes marker and pastel pigment like a dream. It's the one thing I miss about it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lmao DVS! I was in arch school in 91 sry that was funny.... I have nothing productive to add to this thread were in our last week of the seaaon and I went out tonite happy thanksgiving all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower View Post
......and I went out tonite.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah we noticed. The slurring of your words.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.