Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the answers.
The module that failed is an older gray colored unit.
Client had advised that those three station on that module were working intermittently prior to my expanding the system.
Initially I thought it was due to a field wiring problem yet yesterday I was up-dating a really bad wiring job leading to the controller - that's how I found the problem.
I agree about some manufacturers having bad runs on components, I have certainly experienced valve problems - however not enough to switch brands.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You would think that valves and heads should reach some steady state of quality, once the design is finalized, but there can still be production problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive seen bad modules, I've seen only odd numbered zones work, burnt out faceplate screens.......u name it.i also see more esp rainbird controllers fry than any other..........

So, it happens to all brands.

however, the worst has to be the toro groundskeeper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had an ICC fail mid summer on a commercial property while it was 90+ degree everyday. Controller wouldn't recognize modules 2,3 & 4. I hit the reset on the back of the panel, and it worked - for two weeks and did it again. Replaced it with an I-Core.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
however, the worst has to be the toro groundskeeper
WTF you talkin about? The GreensKeeper is to die for. Dem buttons rock!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had problems with ESP-Ms too... Search the forum for "MV ERR" or "back panel". They fixed the problem, but it took a while.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I have had the guys bring in bad controllers 10-11 times this year. Since all we do is install, they were straight from the box and not working.

From what I heard Pro-c had a bad run on some parts. Most, if not all of our problems were solved by swapping out the face. Hunter took it back and gave us credit.

What I have learned is that every now and then a product has a bad run. That is not enough reason to call it junk and move on.

We had a bad run of rainbird valves a few months ago. About 2 of 10 had molding problems which were causing the valves to leak. We returned all the valves we had in stock, waited a few months, and the problem was solved. The install crews were pissed, because they were having to dig up new valves and replace them once or twice per install.
When the 1" and 2" PGA issue occurred due to molding problems, RB allowed us to purchase PEB's for the PGA price. Needless to say, we have a few hundred 2" and even more 1" PEB's stocked now
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I've had problems with ESP-Ms too... Search the forum for "MV ERR" or "back panel". They fixed the problem, but it took a while.
I had to do three firmware reboots on ESP-Ms this year. Second one zone 4 wouldnt show up when you went to set run times and zone 2 you could only set it for 1-9 minutes. Of course that being said, I have old Pro c faces sitting around. But by far the biggest POS I see are the older deep cabineted ESPs, we have stacks of those. All the old RB clocks seem to have problems with the dial not making contact. Im not biased I hate them all equally
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
When the 1" and 2" PGA issue occurred due to molding problems, RB allowed us to purchase PEB's for the PGA price. Needless to say, we have a few hundred 2" and even more 1" PEB's stocked now
Didn't RB have probs with the PEBs? I pulled a few this year, must have been the same batch with cracked seats.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I found the problem on why that particular module failed.
Long story short the homeowner hired a local "handyman" for some work around his residence - and the handyman re-wired the field connections, according to the homeowner.
When I up-dated and expanded the system I noticed a bunch of 16 & 18 gauge wires looped and taped together leading into the garage.
As I removed the wires, section 5 was apparently shorting out inside the wall - seems the handyman added wire to this section to reach the controller and the joint was not protected - bare wires just twisted together. Furthermore he had changed colors so the red 16 awg was extended with a white 18 awg then back to a red 16 awg.
Basically looked like someone crapped a bunch of wires in the wall.