Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup...maintenance. Need the Home Improvment license for improvements. So if it's already there and you're just maintaining it, then no contractor license required.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Yup...maintenance. Need the Home Improvment license for improvements. So if it's already there and you're just maintaining it, then no contractor license required.
Awesome...I just learned services performed on commercial, income producing or non-owner occupied residences are subject to the Connecticut sales tax, however, services performed on owner occupied residential property are not subject to sales tax. Therefore, we wouldn't need a sales and use tax permit if just servicing residential, owner occupied properties.

The lady at CT licensing info center also said i would need a permit if I plan on fertilizing.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Woah, woah, woah. There is no exemption of owner occupied housing to taxes for lawncare/landscaping. Who told you that? And last I knew you didn't need a permit to fertilize either, as long as it's just straight fertilizer with no pesticides.

"Landscaping and horticulture services are subject to tax, inclusive of charges for tangible personal property installed, such as gravel, sod or loam, as well as charges for services provided as an integral part of the landscaping job, such as excavating, land clearing and grading."

Services Taxable to All Real Property
Some services are taxable in all cases, whether rendered
to new construction, owner-occupied residential property,
existing commercial property, existing industrial property,
or existing income-producing property. These services
include, but are not limited to:
Carpet cleaning Maintenance
Exterminating Snow plowing and removal
House washing Swimming pool cleaning
Janitorial Swimming pool maintenance
Landscaping Window cleaning
Locksmith services
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to call and talk to someone else tomorrow. I emailed them and they responded with what I posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Home Improvement Contractor license requirements do depend on who you're working for...the owner occupied housing thing...but as far as I know and last I knew etc., sales tax does not. They did make a bunch of other changes when they changed the sales tax rate, so I guess it's possible that's changed, but I don't think so.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The Home Improvement Contractor license requirements do depend on who you're working for...the owner occupied housing thing...but as far as I know and last I knew etc., sales tax does not. They did make a bunch of other changes when they changed the sales tax rate, so I guess it's possible that's changed, but I don't think so.
I'm just going by what she told me. Her name is Elizabeth Wallace and here is her contact info. I would give her a call and confirm. It would be huge if we didn't need to charge and pay sales tax.

Elizabeth L. Wallace, EDP
Director
Connecticut Licensing Info Center
805 Brook Street (c/o CERC)
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

800.392.2122 ext. 6207 or 860.571.6207
info@ct-clic.com
Follow us: @CTBusinessInfo
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would call the Dept. of Revenue Service...I don't think Elizabeth knows what she's talking about. It would be really huge if you were supposed to be charging sales & use tax and didn't.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would call the Dept. of Revenue Service...I don't think Elizabeth knows what she's talking about. It would be really huge if you were supposed to be charging sales & use tax and didn't.
Haha good point. I'm going to call DRS today.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
you're right she doesn't know what she's talking about...The DRS said that all those services are taxable and I do need to obtain a sales permit...as for the fertilizer you were right also, as long as there are no pesticides you don't need a license.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good because otherwise I'd have a lot of sales tax to refund to my customers, lol.

As far as the fertilizer goes, it really doesn't do much good to be able to only spread straight fertilizer, except when you repair or install a lawn you can put down starter fertilizer. You'd also be able to fertilize flower beds. But putting down fertilizer in the spring without a pre-emergent to control crab grass would probably not be doing your customer much of a service. No weed control, grub control, round-up etc.