Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly speaking I think the 128LD is the better bargain...

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...=161691,364723

Granted it might have a little less power than the Echo but I doubt it falls far behind, then again it might have more power, hard to say but I do know you won't find a better unit for that kind of money.

The only thing better gets into $400's...
And we can't get them for under $300 even refurbished.

Side note: When buying reconditioned / refurbished units make SURE it says it has been FACTORY recond / refurb!

Last edited by herler; 11-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

it isn't gonna suck for long, found out where the screw was...WoooHooo!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I beat the heck out of a $219 dollar srm-225. Guard off still running like a champ. Get the u-turn head.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
it isn't gonna suck for long, found out where the screw was...WoooHooo!
Yep, it's a small hole out of the way but it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymo81 View Post
I beat the heck out of a $219 dollar srm-225. Guard off still running like a champ. Get the u-turn head.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't even consider the "U-turn" Echo head. Get a Stens speed feed head and you won't have to look back.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Yep, it's a small hole out of the way but it's there.

I wouldn't even consider the "U-turn" Echo head. Get a Stens speed feed head and you won't have to look back.
I agree with the u turn head. What a pile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually was in the homedepot the other day and they had a factory serviced srm230 with the full warranty for 199. I jumped on it..After using redmax my whole life i HATED this trimmer at first..the head sucks and the guard dosnt let out enough string..normally i just loosed up the guard and slide it up an inch so i can squeese out another inch or two but the guard is bolted to the neck..

Anyhoo after switching to a redmax head and taking off the echo guard and grinding a little plastic off an old redmax one to get it to fit i love the thing..great build quality, not to heavy, comefortable, ive never had an issue with a trimmer but the 5 year war is nice..

Another note i opened up the muffler and took the cat out it opened her up a little bit and it is running cooler but is alot louder..If you dont feel comefortable doing that i would deffintally recomend removing the tailpipe. blocking plate and spark arrestor there is so much restriction in that exhaust it is crazy..save em incase you ever need to use that warranty.. I took a bunch of pic. I was actually gonna make a video post in a few days about the trimmer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only things I buy from Home Depot are things I can't get elsewhere. It's been at least 5 years since I've even been to a Home Depot or Lowes.

Establishing a relationship with a local dealer has a lot of benefits....they will usually do what it takes to keep you running. A local dealer will usually bump a loyal landcare/landscape pro to the top of the list for repairs and some will drop what they're doing to service them....as in coming out to your truck/trailer and trying to get you running without even unloading your machine.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought an echo trimmer, backpack blower, and hedge trimmer back in 2004 from home depot. still have all of it today and it all runs great. however i only used this stuff 2 seasons part time, and the rest of the time just on my own yard, gonna get as much use out of this stuff as i can next season before i consider replacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I know Home Depot doesn't service anything and a lot of their machines are crap, but I looked at an Echo Pro trimmer there for $279. I really liked the feel and design of it. Very well put together or it seemed to be. Should I avoid buying it since it's from Home Depot? It's the only place in town I can find that trimmer.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I know Home Depot doesn't service anything and a lot of their machines are crap, but I looked at an Echo Pro trimmer there for $279. I really liked the feel and design of it. Very well put together or it seemed to be. Should I avoid buying it since it's from Home Depot? It's the only place in town I can find that trimmer.
Make your own decision but I try to buy everything I can from one or another of my locally-owned "pro shops", usually one in particular. They've got me going again in 30 minutes, usually less, more times than I can count. I'm helping them to succeed in business just as they're helping me, and also my money is staying in my community.

OTOH if that's the machine you want and HD is the only place you can find it what's the big deal? You might ask your dealer about it first but that's up to you.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Honestly speaking I think the 128LD is the better bargain...

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...=161691,364723

Granted it might have a little less power than the Echo but I doubt it falls far behind, then again it might have more power, hard to say but I do know you won't find a better unit for that kind of money.

The only thing better gets into $400's...
And we can't get them for under $300 even refurbished.

Side note: When buying reconditioned / refurbished units make SURE it says it has been FACTORY recond / refurb!
The 128 isn't that great of a unit...big, heavy, clumsy. Better off stepping up to the 223.