Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisDiesel View Post
I have thought alot about this, I have to upgrade the 2 axles to boost up the gvw. I was thinking of upgrading to 7000 lb axles, then I took a look at my enclosed trailer and if I were to move them ahead, I would loose my side door. The only other option would be to move the side door from where it is up front, to behind the axles......
Also I was thinking today, instead of building a whole new sub frame to place the enclosed trailer and dump insert on, maybe I would just cut off the existing tounge and then get some slightly smaller tube and slide it into the existing rails and then slide the right size tube over that. It would make it stronger and also easier to weld.
Keep the comments coming, it's nice to have other people taking a look at this build before I get started and putting in their 2 cents!
I'm sure you know that higher capacity axles won't change your tongue weight, so that will do nothing to improve the way the trailer handles. I think to make this trailer safe, and the way that you're planning to, you need to move the axles.

As for not building a new frame, I think it would be absolutely necessary to beef up the enclosed trailers frame. The trailer was engineered to be a bumper pull trailer, with X amount of tongue weight and X amount of load capacity, you're proposing to drastically change both of those.

As for sliding a tube inside the original frame: that idea sounds great, in theory. The problem is for it to really change the strength of the frame it would have to be a very tight fit. But that won't really be possible because of the weld bead that is on the inside of the tubing. There are ways to clean that bead up, but they would require an investment in special tools, and typically require both ends of the tubing to be exposed, and I assume that isn't the case here.

Like others have said, I think you really are going to come out ahead selling your enclosed and dump insert and buying a professionally built trailer.

Have you considered that if you are ever in an accident with this trailer and the insurance company (yours or otherwise) finds out that you (neither a welder or engineer, as far as I know) designed and built this trailer they won't likely cover ANY claims. Even if the trailer design and engineering played no part in the accident. I don't mean to be critical, and I would really love to watch the progression of this trailer, it just has bad idea written all over it.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't read all of the replies, so if this has already been mentioned I apologize.

Regarding putting the dump bed in the front of the trailer and doing a side dump... Have you figured out ow much clearance between the ground and the the bottom of the bin while its in the up position? Generally with low clearances (like a trailer opposed to a truck) you would need to dump then pull forward in order to empty the bin. I dont see how oyu would be able to do this when dumping to the side.

And still not rich

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
I haven't read all of the replies, so if this has already been mentioned I apologize.

Regarding putting the dump bed in the front of the trailer and doing a side dump... Have you figured out ow much clearance between the ground and the the bottom of the bin while its in the up position? Generally with low clearances (like a trailer opposed to a truck) you would need to dump then pull forward in order to empty the bin. I dont see how oyu would be able to do this when dumping to the side.
That being said, I have always liked the idea of having the set up youre talking about, I just always pictured it on something with a higher deck... an NPR maybe.

And still not rich

Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.keeslers.com/Utility-Equi...-Trailers.aspx

http://www.lhdesignbuild.com/article-3219.aspx
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Subscribed.

I'd go with gooseneck. It can handle the weight. Also Northern Tool offers blueprints for trailers. I'd pick up a set for something like a gooseneck flatbed. That will help get the angles right for the tongue, down tube and all that. Maybe the car hauler plans, to keep the profile low.

Are you planning to repurpose your dump insert? Or use the hoist parts to make the side dump?

Where the dump is going to be place, and with a side dump I’d cross brace the frame every 4 foot or so and then do a “x” brace to help with the twisting when the dump is being used.
If you want to use the old trailer, have the gooseneck frame run on the outside of the donor trailer. Then bolt the donor into place. Then use a 6 or 7 K torsion axle. Torsion axles will hold up and not need the maintenance a leaf spring system needs.

While I think your design is well thought out. With the side dump towards the front and tools and equipment to the back, I would be worried handling when pulling. With all the weight to the back, it might be squirrelly. You might be able to get around some of that by moving the axles back some. It would mainly depend on the size of the side dump.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
I'm sure you know that higher capacity axles won't change your tongue weight, so that will do nothing to improve the way the trailer handles. I think to make this trailer safe, and the way that you're planning to, you need to move the axles.

As for not building a new frame, I think it would be absolutely necessary to beef up the enclosed trailers frame. The trailer was engineered to be a bumper pull trailer, with X amount of tongue weight and X amount of load capacity, you're proposing to drastically change both of those.

As for sliding a tube inside the original frame: that idea sounds great, in theory. The problem is for it to really change the strength of the frame it would have to be a very tight fit. But that won't really be possible because of the weld bead that is on the inside of the tubing. There are ways to clean that bead up, but they would require an investment in special tools, and typically require both ends of the tubing to be exposed, and I assume that isn't the case here.

Like others have said, I think you really are going to come out ahead selling your enclosed and dump insert and buying a professionally built trailer.

Have you considered that if you are ever in an accident with this trailer and the insurance company (yours or otherwise) finds out that you (neither a welder or engineer, as far as I know) designed and built this trailer they won't likely cover ANY claims. Even if the trailer design and engineering played no part in the accident. I don't mean to be critical, and I would really love to watch the progression of this trailer, it just has bad idea written all over it.
CLS: What I meant to say was, I am aware I have to move my axles, so while I was in the process of doing that I would upgrade the axles.

Point taken on the other issues, I just figured if I collared the tubing it would help with the welds and make things stronger.

You are not being critical, I appreciate all the points, good and bad......keep them coming!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AWeave...12666792139719

http://www.aweaverlawncare.com

Rhode Island Lawncare/Landscapers Networking Thread
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
That being said, I have always liked the idea of having the set up youre talking about, I just always pictured it on something with a higher deck... an NPR maybe.
We built 2 NPR's into lawn trucks and put a shortbed dump insert sideways on the front of the bed, then had a 10' flat deck and a 6' dove. It dumped fine because it sat higher off the ground.

Heck for the amount of work and money that will be involved you could sell the insert and trailer, buy an NPR and do a setup like I just said for less probably. I've bought 2 97 NPR's for 2400 each in good shape. Just another thought.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear what you are saying KC, I have always loved the box truck idea myself. However the whole point of me building this trailer is so I can keep my costs down, mainly on having another truck, with another registration, insurance and maintenance. If I were to get another truck, it would be a dump truck.......maybe a roll off truck so I could work it in the winter with a plow and sander making money plowing for the town or state.......who knows, the more I look at this trailer idea the more I think I may just bite the bullet and buy a dump truck

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AWeave...12666792139719

http://www.aweaverlawncare.com

Rhode Island Lawncare/Landscapers Networking Thread
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This was the trailer we used to run. This style is very popular here. http://fresno.craigslist.org/grd/3281518558.html
Posted via Mobile Device. This is what we run now. It hasn't been painted yet but it will soon http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258435&d=1350108769

Last edited by orlawncaresvc; 11-05-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking, especially if you were to go with a goose-neck, what are you gaining by this project? The goose-neck will take up a bit of your bed therefore eliminating any advantage to the typical dump truck/ trailer set-up.

It looks like you have a nice business set up, I have seen you running around, I live in Foster not to far from your area, but work mostly North of 14. Hope you had a good season.