Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Too late to aerate? NE

Hey guys I'm located in northern jersey, it's my first year out and between these crazy storms and my slight tendency to procrastinate I still have two aerations left. I figured I would do them this Saturday along with applying my winter fertalizer. My question is, is it too late? And will I harm the lawns in anyway by aerating at this time. I don't see why it would cause any harm but figured i would ask the vets just to be sure.Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What would it accomplish, being this late in the season??? We're already getting the freeze/thaw activity up here,,, how long before things start to freeze where you're at???
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your aerating grass, then 'yes' you are doing damage when you open up plant's and soil that are too cold to recover naturally. You'll be all right to fertilize, but don't expect much response from it until next spring. Let the freeze-thaw cycle do the aeration for you, that work's, you just can't see it.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if its too late where you are it wont damage anything because grass will be going dormant anyway, but as said already it will not serve any purpose......im in the same boat here in Ohio. Bad season all together for landscaping
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here in iowa we are still hitting sixty degree days pretty regularly. I plan on doing my last aeration tomorrow. It might be borderline and i have explained this to the customer but he still wants to go ahead and do it.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it has been pretty warm still, These seasons are getting all screwed up. I personally just look forward to next season to pick up and repair any damage from extremes from this season. As i dont want to feed or incourage more weed growth as well for next season....kinda just start fresh