Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 AM
britsteroni britsteroni is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 328
Retirement Planning

After some discussion on another thread, I thought this would be a good topic that doesn't get talked about much here on lawnsite.

For those of you that are full-time, what do you do for your retirement planning?

Do you utilize the services of a financial planner? A broker? DIY? Do you think about retirement at all?

Let the discussion begin!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM
jc1 jc1 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Real South Jersey
Posts: 664
We have a simple Ira plan through Weffs Fargo advisors. We match our employee contributions up to 3%.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM
clydebusa's Avatar
clydebusa clydebusa is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 1,645
10% of net goes back for retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
britsteroni britsteroni is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
10% of net goes back for retirement.
Clyde,

What retirement "vehicle" do you use for the savings (ROTH IRA, IRA, SOLO 401(K)?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
britsteroni britsteroni is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
We have a simple Ira plan through Weffs Fargo advisors. We match our employee contributions up to 3%.
1. Did you set this up at one of the retail outlets?

2. What mutual funds do you guys have to choose from?

3. Have you looked into the fees that you are charged for each of the mutual fund options?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I am going to keep investing in my business and paying down my personal bills. As long as my mind works, I can keep managing my empire. If my mind goes then I do not really care about much else.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,051
I have to say that any investment that is tied to Wall Street is a potentially bad problem (to say it nicely.) The money that you invest into anything related will not bring the same ROI as reinvesting in yourself (your business.) Investing in real estate is probably the best option other than your business. But don't invest for capital gains, that doesn't always work. Invest for cash flow through rental properties.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
britsteroni britsteroni is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am going to keep investing in my business and paying down my personal bills. As long as my mind works, I can keep managing my empire. If my mind goes then I do not really care about much else.
Duekster,

1. Is your business to the point that you no longer work in the field?

2. Are you pretty close to being debt free?

3. Assuming you have a family, do you have insurance in place to provide for them if something were to happen to you?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM
britsteroni britsteroni is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I have to say that any investment that is tied to Wall Street is a potentially bad problem (to say it nicely.) The money that you invest into anything related will not bring the same ROI as reinvesting in yourself (your business.) Investing in real estate is probably the best option other than your business. But don't invest for capital gains, that doesn't always work. Invest for cash flow through rental properties.
newguy,

I think a lot of people would agree with your disdain for Wall Street. Have you done much reading on index mutual funds? I think rental real estate is a great wealth building tool. Do you have specific goals or plans to build a real estate investment portfolio that will support you upon retirement or if you are unable to continue doing manual labor? If you or anyone else is interested in learning more about real estate investment, I would highly recommend www.biggerpockets.com/forums
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
clydebusa's Avatar
clydebusa clydebusa is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by britsteroni View Post
Clyde,

What retirement "vehicle" do you use for the savings (ROTH IRA, IRA, SOLO 401(K)?
IRA's, some gold, stock, and CD;s. real estate. (rent houses)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.07029 seconds with 9 queries