Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmm, tried to go back and re-edit my post; wouldn't let me.

Anyway, I got really technical with my measurements and remeasured all the school properties as best as I could. I came out with about 38 acres of mowable turf, TOTAL. Getting this gig I think is certainly out of the question now that I've calculated my costs, I guess the only reason why they can is because they must have a big operation and can afford to only make a couple hundred dollars off this gig. That's my only guess.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

whom are you guessing against? do you know what this contract has gone for in the past?

There are a lot of tricks for managing Turf this big, the number one rule is you don't need to trim every week (or every visit in your case)

Why is the Football field dormant but not the rest of the turf? What's it look like in season?

Is that the field they are managing on their own so you don't have to do it (because they are cutting it with a reel mower)

You also have to look at the RFP (request for proposal) are they requiring you to pick up or manage trash that might be on the turf?

Why are you going to mulch twice? Because they asked you to, or you just figured you would? Are they asking you to trim shrubs three times or is that you saying you are going to?

Normally I would say a single mulching and two shrub trims would be fine.

What are is this property in? North Carolina? Or somewhere in the mid west?

Judging from when you thought you would be cutting Im assuming south.

You act like your costs are high, that doesn't make sense to me. If it's just you, what do you think are your costs? the truth is you don't know.

There are good tools to figure it out, however you aren't truly going to know until after your first year, at a minimum, but you can project costs and then try to stick to a budget.

What other contracts might you have, besides this school, if you get it.

Something this size would warrant and employee.

You will need good mowers too, I would suggest something like an exmark, dixie chopper, bad boy or hustler, ones that aim at big big turf.

I wouldnt make equipment purchases until you have properties already sold, unless you already have equipment.

because if you dont get something like this, you aren't going to want two WAMS on your trailer to do aunt marthas lawn.

I can teach you what you need to know on the basic level as far as how to project your costs and establish a budget, which will tell you around where you need to be charging for an hourly rate, Im also sure there are plenty of other guys who would too, trick is finding someone to mentor you who is willing to do so for free.

It's not the easiest thing to do over an online forum.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

whom are you guessing against? do you know what this contract has gone for in the past?
-- The previous contracts. It has been a few years since I've seen them, but I believe I recall the school published one year that they awarded the contract to a $13,000 bidder.

There are a lot of tricks for managing Turf this big, the number one rule is you don't need to trim every week (or every visit in your case)
-- Very true

Why is the Football field dormant but not the rest of the turf? What's it look like in season?
-- The practice football field is pure Bermuda so it was dormant at the time the photo was taken. In season, its extremely green until it gets wore out from wear and tear. The rest is just weedy types of grass that don't go dormant as soon as Bermuda does here.

Is that the field they are managing on their own so you don't have to do it (because they are cutting it with a reel mower).
--Yes, I was mistaken, they don't mow the practice field with a Reel mower, only the game field. They use an Exmark for the practice field.

You also have to look at the RFP (request for proposal) are they requiring you to pick up or manage trash that might be on the turf?
--I've never seen the previous crews responsible for trash collection.

Why are you going to mulch twice? Because they asked you to, or you just figured you would? Are they asking you to trim shrubs three times or is that you saying you are going to? Normally I would say a single mulching and two shrub trims would be fine.
--I was told by a family member that they 'thought' they mulched twice a year. That was a few years ago I think. My father informed me that at the HS, they have an Ag. class and they do the mulching there. As for trimming bushes, I think they do it twice, I figured maybe 3.

What are is this property in? North Carolina? Or somewhere in the mid west?
Judging from when you thought you would be cutting Im assuming south.
-- Tennessee

You act like your costs are high, that doesn't make sense to me. If it's just you, what do you think are your costs? the truth is you don't know.
-- My costs high? I estimated my operational cost to run the mowers/weedeaters would be about $10 an hour. My expenses right now are $600/month. If I buy equipment, I will likely have close to $1000 a month in expenses.

What other contracts might you have, besides this school, if you get it.
-- I have just one yard right now.

Something this size would warrant and employee.
-- Probably, I think I usually see two working.

You will need good mowers too, I would suggest something like an exmark, dixie chopper, bad boy or hustler, ones that aim at big big turf.
-- I had been quoted for a JD 920 54" at $7700, but I think I would stick to a used but very well taken care of mower that I could get reasonably priced.

I wouldnt make equipment purchases until you have properties already sold, unless you already have equipment.
-- I already have some equipment.

I can teach you what you need to know on the basic level as far as how to project your costs and establish a budget, which will tell you around where you need to be charging for an hourly rate, Im also sure there are plenty of other guys who would too, trick is finding someone to mentor you who is willing to do so for free.

It's not the easiest thing to do over an online forum.
------------

I really appreciate your help, TP. In just one day I've already gained a wealthy of knowledge. Without the advice, I wouldn't have realized that I needed to find my bottom line operating costs and stuff like that. It's really making me see how I need to be careful how much money I spend getting myself into the business, like you say, start small then work up.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok so you're thinking 13 grand is the price point and your not responsible for that foot ball field so you are way over estimating the turf you need to cut, I'd say you're looking at 18 to 15 acres of moveable turf, then figure poor quality turf at that. So how did they do it for 13 k and how many years did they do it for that? I'm going to swag here and say you have 20 hrs of work per week, or 800 a week for this client I think you will have 20 weeks so 16k, your assuming trimming and mulching so unless they specifically make you sign a contract for doing them don't include it or offer it. But these are items you can up sell or offer as extras , if you can afford to run at 35/ hr you could do this for say 12800 give it your best shot, record all your times and travel time so you know what you are capable of for future bids and dig in buddy this us just the beginning! But definitely learn how to measure turf and don't assume what they want for services you'll end up promising stuff for free right now give them a price for just cuts, unless you are told different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. Btw, the football field was not calculated in the 22.9 acre measurement. I made sure to remove it.

Anyway. They've had numerous companies over the years. About 10 yrs ago it was US Lawns. The guys doing it now do a pretty decent job. Not sure who they are but the crew that was doing it before them were awful.

Getting late so I'm off to bed. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device