Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel Line Hose Clamps

I need to replace my fuel line hose clamps on an efi mower. What clamps would you recommend? The ones on them right now are the ones that you pretty much I have to pry off and cannot put them back on.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are Oetiker clamps. There is a tool to remove and install the clamps. Do not use any other clamps. Also, Use OEM fuel filters and fuel line on the EFI engines.

Several years ago we were a beta site for the Bosch software used on the Kohler EFI engines. Properly maintained the 26HP Kohler EFI should last more than 4000 hours.

Oldtimer
Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where can I find OEM fuel line clamps online? Just put the band clamps on there for now. I don't have a dealer anywhere close. Thanks oldtimer!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah, you don't need OEM. Just don't use any old junk (especially worm gear clamps).
EFI requires a pretty high pressure on the fuel line. Go to the auto parts store, and look at "fuel injection hose" and clamps. The hose looks a lot like "fuel hose", but "fuel injection hose" is about 10x the price, and is actually quite different. The hose runs several dollars A FOOT.
The reusable clamps are a band with a screw and a nut. It gives even pressure around 360 degrees (unlike the worm clamps), and lets you get much more compression.

Oh, and back to the hose. You know how the cheap rubber fuel hoses start to crack and fall apart from ethanol in the gas. Fuel injection hose won't. That's all I use now, even on carburated machines that don't really need it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What you just described is worm gear clamps. They have a band with a screw to (worm) tighten the band.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use these EFI hose clamps with ZERO failures in many applications including automotive. They're the ones that are on my 1992 Mustang and my Kohler 28 EFI.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rich, I think you are right.

I have the worm drive clamps, on my 28 EFI Kohler. They keep loosening up, so I keep a 1/4" nut driver near where the mower is parked on the trailer. That keeps 3 of the 4 tight. The other baXXXrd is at an angle that I have to use the snap on 1/4 inch drive u joint on, to tighten it, every time I change the blades down at the shop. That oil cooler is nothing but trouble, with worm drive clamps. You wouldn't have a part number and source for the clamps pictured in your post, wouldja?? Thanks, Dave
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
I have the worm drive clamps, on my 28 EFI Kohler. They keep loosening up, so I keep a 1/4" nut driver near where the mower is parked on the trailer. That keeps 3 of the 4 tight. The other baXXXrd is at an angle that I have to use the snap on 1/4 inch drive u joint on, to tighten it, every time I change the blades down at the shop. That oil cooler is nothing but trouble, with worm drive clamps. You wouldn't have a part number and source for the clamps pictured in your post, wouldja?? Thanks, Dave
Yeah, Dixie used regular hose clamps on their FI hoses. I don'know why, but they have confidence in them. You can get those clamps at any auto parts store. If you go to the Advance Auto Parts at 1143 Annapolis Rd, you can get them there. NAPA, Pep Boys, they all have them.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy View Post
What you just described is worm gear clamps. They have a band with a screw to (worm) tighten the band.
Yeah, it sounds similar, but in a worm clamp, the "screw" engages slots in the band.
In a Fuel Injection Hose clamp, the screw tightens against a nut. They get MUCH tighter.

Richard Martin posted a great picture of what I described, and yes, every auto parts store has them. You just have to say "Fuel Injection" when you're asking for hoses or clamps.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The OEM# should be in the parts manual that came with your mower.

Oetiker clamps are used in a variety of applications requiring even clamping and security for hazardous applications. Just got in a boomless boom sprayer with several Oetiker clamps and my shop uses them on all fuel injection system applications.

Oldtimer