Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It isn't the cut height. It's the deck of a mower that hits the heads.
That is true for those sprinkler heads that have been installed a little high or are not on level ground and our wide mower deck digs in some. Those heads really need my Sprinkler Buddy. lol

The damage to most sprinkler heads though are from the mower tires and the weight of our mowers. That has been my personal experience over the years mowing grass professionally.

Maybe it's a FL thing.....
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Well I guess the mower would trim this to height. So the scraps of green plastic are they biodegradable or have organic fertilizer to help the lawn when they get chewed up?
Sprinkler Buddy is designed to be mowed over or should I say straddled with the mower tires when mowed over, now that you can see them to avoid damaging them. Sprinkler Buddy remains 1" to 1 1/2" above grade, depending on the size of sprinkler head it's being used on. Anyone that cuts above 2 1/2" isn't going to be cutting up the Sprinkler Buddy if they have installed it and the sprinkler head correctly to begin with.

You do have a good idea though. "biodegradable or have organic fertilizer" lol

Think most that use my product are more interested in reducing sprinkler head repair cost.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Sprinkler Buddy is designed to be mowed over or should I say straddled with the mower tires when mowed over, now that you can see them to avoid damaging them. Sprinkler Buddy remains 1" to 1 1/2" above grade, depending on the size of sprinkler head it's being used on. Anyone that cuts above 2 1/2" isn't going to be cutting up the Sprinkler Buddy if they have installed it and the sprinkler head correctly to begin with.

You do have a good idea though. "biodegradable or have organic fertilizer" lol

Think most that use my product are more interested in reducing sprinkler head repair cost.
It wouldn't be bad around full circle heads, since the typical full circle nozzle gets covered and the open orifice on top gets grass growing into it, clogging and distorting it. I think someone mentioned it but I hate when people take nice grass and notch out the grass around the head 2-3" or more
Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It isn't the cut height. It's the deck of a mower that hits the heads.
I just realized, Wet Boots makes a very valid point about our mower decks. Here in FL, sprinkler donuts or concrete donuts are very common. Many of our customers demand that we use and maintain them in their lawns.

This has happened to me in the past and I'm sure to many other lawn care guys. The mower deck catches the sprinkler donut just right and pushes it into the sprinkler head, causing the damage. Or worse, damage to our mower blades if it gets pushed up when contact is made with the sprinkler head.

Sprinkler Buddy puts no additional stress on a sprinkler head. If one were to hit it with the mower deck, being made of a flexible material it would simply flex and instantly rebound back once the deck has moved on.

Good point Wet Boots, our mower decks are much lower than our cutting height. To be effective, the sprinkler donuts or concrete donuts have to remain above the height of the sprinkler heads themselves or they serve no purpose. Thus putting them at greater risk of being caught by the mower deck.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the head is set near level the mower deck should not hit it.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have me confused? I thought that decks were designed to protect the blades from the introduction of exterior hazards and protect the clumbsy and clueless from the blades? Wouldn't do well to have the deck higher than the blade, I didn't realize that Fl was exempt from that line of reasoning.

Another way of looking at a mower is from the home owners point of view. A mower is a machine (much like a car or tractor) and the operator is responsible for damages incurred from improper or unsafe use of the machine. Seems that the LCO should do everything in its power to avoid the heads, including slowing down or using a lighter weight machine or weight distributing tires in known situations. The problem with that theory is the operator might have to pay attention to what he is doing.

I do wish you the best of luck but i'd rather see you bump your head than bump your thread, use a little class. If your product needs a slap on the back, someone wil slap it for you.

Again, best of luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need the decks to be close to the ground so wet grass will be picked up completely. Homeowner mowers don't need that functionality. Lots of systems never had damaged heads until the pro equipment showed up.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I do wish you the best of luck but i'd rather see you bump your head than bump your thread, use a little class. If your product needs a slap on the back, someone wil slap it for you.

Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto! Ive been thinking the same thing!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
You have me confused? I thought that decks were designed to protect the blades from the introduction of exterior hazards and protect the clumbsy and clueless from the blades? Wouldn't do well to have the deck higher than the blade, I didn't realize that Fl was exempt from that line of reasoning.

Another way of looking at a mower is from the home owners point of view. A mower is a machine (much like a car or tractor) and the operator is responsible for damages incurred from improper or unsafe use of the machine. Seems that the LCO should do everything in its power to avoid the heads, including slowing down or using a lighter weight machine or weight distributing tires in known situations. The problem with that theory is the operator might have to pay attention to what he is doing.

Again, best of luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
From the top, the deck is below the mower blades (closer to the ground).

My maintenance company is not responsible for damage as a result of improperly installed irrigation components; above grade for example, or not on swing pipe.

With 60" decks, it's not always possible or practical to run a slalom course around sprinkler heads, most of which can't be seen anyway.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Most don't mow @ 1 1/2" or lower? It installs well below the cutting height that most of us cut at. The sprinkler head itself remains at grade level. It doesn't work if one cuts their lawn like a putting green or a fair way. When installed it's no different than the sprinkler donuts your familiar with except the Sprinkler Buddy doesn't sink in the ground over time and it prevents grass from taking root between the indicator and sprinkler head itself. Requiring much less maintenance long term.
The deck can hit it, tires, casters, weed whackers, heavy traffic, etc. 1.5" above grade can represent a tripping hazard.

Bent grass, Bermuda, Kentucky Blue, Centipede, Rye, Zoysia all cut to 1.5" (+ or-)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Closed Thread