Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Electric mini ex

Anyone here used one of the small mini excavators that run off of electricity? Have a job that requires some inside work and there isn't a good way of venting C02 from an engine. I'll be working in undisturbed red clay, removing about 4 yards.

Wondering if renting one is worth the effort or faster to just get a couple rotary hammers with spades and a crew carrying spoil out by wheelbarrow.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like it would be cheaper to have a crew to do it all by hand. 4 yards isn't much. Roughly 20 wheel barrows full.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the details of the job? I work indoors in confined spaces with my machines and have a few good ways to vent the areas...

In hindsight I am looking at investing in a 3 tonne mini that is electric and if anyone has experience with then I would love to speak to them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would just get in there with some shovels and blow it out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have checked into them, mostly the ihi model. along with the ex you have to have a generator and power cord to go with it. their dig depth is minimal at best. for the money they cost to rent or buy it would be hard to justify unless you had a lot of digging to do. you may be able to rent one better from your location.
Good Luck,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It can be done with a walk behind skidteer, a company I work has a MT52, they pulled out the engine and bolted in an electric motor and run it off a generator. It's easier than you think, and once you have an electric mini hoe, you will get work where no one else can work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a couple Brokk 180's at work for working inside the tunnel. Well, that was the idea, anyway, until they realized that the Brokks couldn't do nearly the amount of work they wanted. Working in this tunnel we are still allowed diesel engines, provided they are equipped with a scrubber as we are pushing a bunch of air through the tunnel with surface fans and a couple booster fans throughout. So in hindsight, the Brokks didn't work for this application. From what I heard, we are selling one of the units.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
What are the details of the job? I work indoors in confined spaces with my machines and have a few good ways to vent the areas...
Removing soil from a partial stand up crawl space.. lowering floor and underpinning some foundation walls. Engineer says the soil (clay) is as hard as he's ever seen which makes the underpinning less complicated but getting the material loosened is more work. I have a few sections each about 4 yards - probably be doing a section every few weeks.

Did some checking and couldn't find a local source to rent an electric IHI. I had concerns about the capabilities of a tiny electric hoe anyway.. I could see the bucket scratching the surface of the clay and not getting a good bite due to the light weight and low power. I know the SDS-MAX spade bit on the hammer works but there is still a lot of manual labor involved.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rent a mini skid with a tooth bucket. If you were closer I'd let you use my ripper for a mini skid to break the soil.

Then rent a high quality blower fan from a rental store to get the exhaust out.

I think you would have less time and money in those two over an electric anything.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

ihi make one its the smallest excavator they make