Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Firing customers to quick!

Anyone ever thought they had this problem? Sometimes I wonder if I should hang in there a bit longer with PITA customers.

Just this year alone:

Lady complained 3-4 times about us getting grass clippings on her black metal fence. Claims she had to put in a hardscape 10X10 circle right at the gate entrance in order to stop us from getting grass all over the fence (circle didn't even eliminate that much grass) Would leave notes every 3-4 weeks taped to her fence telling us in bold letters "DO NOT BLOW GRASS ON MY FENCE" I was not in the mood for splitting hairs with this women so I fired her after 4 years of service.

Next we had a guy who after aeration and over-seeding decided to make rude comments about how it "failed to come up in several spots so I had to do it right my self" I clearly told him no water no grass....go water it! Also told him that we would not mow for a couple weeks after seeding. He called and said his neighbors were bickering about how tall his 5" stand of grass was and that he had to mow it himself to satisfy his neighbors. And that he wanted to be there next time we mowed so he could discuss things with us. (not to mention he came out every week we were there to talk)
I fired him!

Had a older women try to get us to reduce our contract because she wanted to help her daughter pay for her kids college. I told her I would remove service from her contract to match her budget...she wanted ALL the services she was receiving for $50 less a month.
I fired her!

that "older womens" neighbor spat off at me one time because I didn't mow her backyard. I was able to sink almost ankle deep it was so wet. So she wanted me to mow it anyway. I told her it will streak & rut up pretty bad she kept telling me how her last guys didn't have a problem mowing when it was wet. I mow and a couple weeks later it's under the same conditions and I go to mow again and she comes out yelling at me because its to wet. She rants almost weekly how it looked better with the last guys. Yet she fired them because they cost to much and she needed to reduce her spending as she is a newly widowed woman.
I fired her also.

I guess I have a low tollerance for PITA customers. If I was only twice the size company and had someone else that soaked up the PITA phone calls and complaints I may have twice the clients. There is a few more I fired this season but im ranting to much as is.