Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i bought all my mowers used and cant complain.my friend is in the biz and he buys everything new he has no kids and works 7 days a week always complaining he has no help and no time off. he has a brand new dump and pickup. he saw my set up and cant believe what i paid. i got a 2007(bought in 09)exmark turf tracer with the sulky it had 900hrs for 2500 its a 7000 machine.bought my scag turf tiger its a 2003 (bought in 05) it had 1000hrs on it for 3000 its a 11000 machine.exmark has a lease program for some and brickman is one of them call a exmark dealer and ask when they are turned in.u could get a good deal.
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MDLawn I owned the duramax before I ever thought about running my own buisness! And I work full time still and this was my first year mowing part time so I was happy with a $6k profit this year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamYardsale4 View Post
MDLawn I owned the duramax before I ever thought about running my own buisness! And I work full time still and this was my first year mowing part time so I was happy with a $6k profit this year
Posted via Mobile Device
I figured......just had to make sure you weren't in mom and dads basement with a big truck doing this full time. All good. I get it I'm in the same boat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I figured......just had to make sure you weren't in mom and dads basement with a big truck doing this full time. All good. I get it I'm in the same boat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha yea that's def not me!! I don't think my wife and 10 month old would enjoy my parents basement to much haha my 5 year plan is to be full time though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's another thought. Buying used should help you with one thing. Possibly having better, although not significantly larger, profits. Too many I think fall into the well I paid less for used so my costs aren't as much so I can charge less. Bad choice period. You should buy well kept used to save you money and possibly increase revenues, productivity, and possible maximize profits. Not to be the cheap boy on the block. Stuff breaks down and used there is the gamble that maintenance was never performed.

Not directed at anyone, just making a statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Here's another thought. Buying used should help you with one thing. Possibly having better, although not significantly larger, profits. Too many I think fall into the well I paid less for used so my costs aren't as much so I can charge less. Bad choice period. You should buy well kept used to save you money and possibly increase revenues, productivity, and possible maximize profits. Not to be the cheap boy on the block. Stuff breaks down and used there is the gamble that maintenance was never performed.

Not directed at anyone, just making a statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your statement has hit the nail on the head. I started in 1982 and equipment has changed and improved. What I have noticed is the price has not changed for the improvement in time. Too many buy the equipment and pass the saving to the customer and don't keep it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

X's 2 what brianslawncare said. When I first got started I financed bc I didn't have any working capital. Now I live on craigslist and check with a dealer not far from me. Always great deals this time of year on craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
X's 2 what brianslawncare said. When I first got started I financed bc I didn't have any working capital. Now I live on craigslist and check with a dealer not far from me. Always great deals this time of year on craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll also agree with this. I bought my big stuff new but now I also live on Craigslist and have found some good buys. Especially something I may not use too much. For example I found a smaller leaf loader on Craigslist. Sure it's not billygoat but man it saved a lot of time on the two properties I needed it and didn't have to part with 3 grand for a billygoat for two properties. But now I know how helpful a loader can be and a better one would be quicker.
Posted via Mobile Device