Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Help!!

I service a HOA that the irrigation system is on a well. I am constantly having spray heads that the filters are stopped up. Most of the spray nozzles Hunter Pro sprays and I have tried some MP Rotors. I will remove the nozzles and they are covered with dirt/sand. I will turn the system back on with a nozzle removed and I will get a clump of dirt shoot out of the head. What can be done about this? Is there a filter that can be placed on the pump? What other suggestions do you have? Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the pump guy and the irrigation guy did not get their numbers straight. I'd call for a pump-down test and then do a survey of the zone demand from the system. It could be a failed well, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Mike Leary; 11-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess not. I had nothing to do with the install. Could you explain what the pump down test would reveal?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A pump-down test will indicate what the well output is in gpm/psi. It will,, as importantly, register the re-charge time of the well. With those criteria, a proper survey of the system should be done to see if the irrigation has exceeded the parameters of the well. Adding a clock with delay in between stations/programs may help, as will () splitting up the zones. Something tells me the system is jacked.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of course the well water can be filtered. All well water should be filtered. Sprinklers are usually assumed to be using clean city water, and you must use 80 or 100 mesh strainers in the supply, in order for the solenoid valves to operate properly, before you even worry what the sprinkler heads require.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Of course the well water can be filtered. All well water should be filtered. Sprinklers are usually assumed to be using clean city water, and you must use 80 or 100 mesh strainers in the supply, in order for the solenoid valves to operate properly, before you even worry what the sprinkler heads require.
Depending on the quality of the well water, filters may be needed. That being said, who is going to be responsible for checking and cleaning the filters? RB did make a pretty cool scrubber/filter that was self-flushing, I used them to great success. I'd still have a pump-down test done before looking like a dipwad when it still failed to perform after convincing the client that was all they needed.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike I mean no disrespect, you are very knowledgeable on many things. But, the wells you are familiar with perform vastly different than the ones I work with and perhaps other people too. I don't think you should be so quick to judge and cast broad statements about every well in the country. Most of the sediment problems that I have here are from rusty old steel casings, not drawing down the well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't give a rip who deals with clogged strainers. They go in regardless, unless the system is built from the ground up to run on crappy water.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd check the water at the pump for solids first. I haven't encountered a well yet that produces dirt; sand yes... dirt no.

Dirt is usually indicative of a line break or the residue left in the line following a bad repair.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Mike I mean no disrespect, you are very knowledgeable on many things. But, the wells you are familiar with perform vastly different than the ones I work with and perhaps other people too. I don't think you should be so quick to judge and cast broad statements about every well in the country. Most of the sediment problems that I have here are from rusty old steel casings, not drawing down the well.
GM, while you are correct, the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.