Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy your mowers, lease larger equipment, or just buy it all. A lease has never made sense to me cost to own vs. cost to lease. I couldn't imagine not owning my own mowers which last forever if you maintain them, which you lease will probably require.... Maintenance costs more than ownership during a normal 2,000 hr engine life. I subcontract most of my heavier equipment needs.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
buy your mowers, lease larger equipment, or just buy it all. A lease has never made sense to me cost to own vs. cost to lease. I couldn't imagine not owning my own mowers which last forever if you maintain them, which you lease will probably require.... Maintenance costs more than ownership during a normal 2,000 hr engine life. I subcontract most of my heavier equipment needs.
Not to bash on you but....... When you're putting the kind of hours on a SINGLE machine as I or any other company is you might under stand my logic behind leasing mowers. Time is MONEY!

PM For DETAILS!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

"FLEECING" anything is not smart. Owning it is. I just traded my 2004 721 Diesel 60" Grasshopper with 1,000 hours on it and got $7,500 on trade against a new 725D T6 Grasshopper. Wrote a check for the $9,000 to boot. I can write checks like this as i have no debt. Sitting on the trailer, paid for and i sleep well at night! Everything i own is paid for. Sure i struggled to do this for a few years but now all upgrades are CASH! It leaves a LOT of extra $$$ around for fun stuff that normally would go to payments and interest.......
2009 Encore FZ48 Front Mount Side Discharge & bagger.
3 Ariens LM21 Commercial walk behinds.
Echo SRM28 trimmers.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I have been thinking about this as well. I leased a skid steer last fall because for the hours I put on it I couldnt see buying. I was allowed 400 a year which is a ton since I have only put 30 on it since November but we also had no snow. I like the idea of leasing because I trade equipment every two or three years and I never get what I owe or think it is worth out of it. I think in the long run it is a wash from all my research. I like the idea it doesnt tie up your credit as well and it is 100% write off according to my cpa. I know Kubota offers a lease option but I am unsure who else does. I am interested if anyone knows of leasing companies.
Not sure if you are talking about mowers, but Snapper Pro/ Ferris has a decent lease offer. I got the pitch from the local dealer, we just dont put enough hours on the machines to make it the best option for me