Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
If I could find a quality landscape/lawn person who would do a good job and not rake me over the coals, that'd be one thing. But I'm getting quotes of $700 for pest control, $3500 to run a skidsteer for a couple days etc. Maybe the lawn business is different though.

Have you looked into the cost of the chemicals to do pest control yourself? They are not cheap and people don't want to work for free.

Same on the skidsteer. If you think you can do it rent one yourself. Around here you can rent one from CAT for $240 a day or $700 a week but you better have a truck and trailer that can haul cause that don't include delivery and pickup. You homeowners look at this stuff and don't think about what we have to pay to be legitimate businesses. I'll give you an example. In WV, just my 5x12 open trailer is $92 a year in property taxes. What do you suppose taxes on a skid steer and a trailer big enough to haul it are? We also are to pay for wear and tear, fuel, wages, payroll taxes, etc... So if you want to do it yourself just do it. Don't come to the pro forum and ask for advice then complain about prices.

The blower you are looking at is not nearly big enough from a guy who does this for a livings POV. If you want to do it yourself at least buy a top of the line BP blower. Husky 570 or 580 Stilhl Magnum, Redmax 5700 or 5800 Echo 700 just search youtube for big BP blowers and you will find them all.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a link I found for you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295923
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Believe me, I understand all that. I'm not knocking your profession and do realize all the additional costs involved. I'm simply saying it would not be cost effective for me. Expensive locale. Try not to misread me, or get so defensive.

...and for the record, I do plan to "just do it" which is why I asked about these specific models (some pre-research). And my Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins and trailer will haul a skidsteer just fine lol.

I do appreciate your insight into the blowers, thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
Here is a link I found for you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295923
Super helpful...Hugs and kisses your way!!!
On my phone, pita...catch up in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dave88LX; 11-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can save you the trouble of filling out the form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFPIBXKx5-o
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave - You might find this helpful...popular mechanics review of blowers. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...pb-500#slide-1
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
If I could find a quality landscape/lawn person who would do a good job and not rake me over the coals, that'd be one thing. But I'm getting quotes of $700 for pest control, $3500 to run a skidsteer for a couple days etc. Maybe the lawn business is different though.
Well, those kind of quotes along with everything else I'm reading and seeing lead me to believe you want something for nothing.

Now you come in here ask us what we think...
You need $500 for a decent backpack blower.
That's what I think.

People will hem and haw over it, but this, but that, blablabla, they all want the best for less, it never ends with the cheapness.
A Backpack blower is designed to last 20 years, this assumes the operator takes care of his equipment, it assumes nobody ever runs straight fuel in it, it assumes the equipment will see some kind of regular maintenance, all in all that is assuming a lot but for $500 and a bit of maintenance and annual upkeep they really do last a long, long time.
Save $$$ here and get a $300 blower, trying to save a dollar you still won't have what you need.
For a backpack blower, you need to spend $500.

In the meantime ...

You could always rent a 8 to 10 hp push blower and be done in 1-2 hours, take you half a day running it back and forth to the rental place but all in all you should come out just south of $100 and that takes care of the leaves this year.

Then, start saving $$$ for next fall.

Last edited by herler; 11-19-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
I'll give you an example. In WV, just my 5x12 open trailer is $92 a year in property taxes. What do you suppose taxes on a skid steer and a trailer big enough to haul it are?
Wow! We have PP tax here too. My 2003 Mid Atlantic 6.5X16 tandem axle trailer just fell off of the tax rolls. They said it's not worth taxing. When they did tax it the tax was under $10 a year. Strangely enough, I think it's worth about $2,200 or the cost to replace it.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well, those kind of quotes along with everything else I'm reading and seeing lead me to believe you want something for nothing.

Now you come in here ask us what we think...
You need $500 for a decent backpack blower.
That's what I think.

People will hem and haw over it, but this, but that, blablabla, they all want the best for less, it never ends with the cheapness.
A Backpack blower is designed to last 20 years, this assumes the operator takes care of his equipment, it assumes nobody ever runs straight fuel in it, it assumes the equipment will see some kind of regular maintenance, all in all that is assuming a lot but for $500 and a bit of maintenance and annual upkeep they really do last a long, long time.
Save $$$ here and get a $300 blower, trying to save a dollar you still won't have what you need.
For a backpack blower, you need to spend $500.

In the meantime ...

You could always rent a 8 to 10 hp push blower and be done in 1-2 hours, take you half a day running it back and forth to the rental place but all in all you should come out just south of $100 and that takes care of the leaves this year.

Then, start saving $$$ for next fall.
Doesn't everyone want something for nothing? Even you buy refurbished stuff because it's cheaper. It's funny because you tell everyone else that they should spend $500 on a blower yet you look for the cheap stuff.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Doesn't everyone want something for nothing? Even you buy refurbished stuff because it's cheaper. It's funny because you tell everyone else that they should spend $500 on a blower yet you look for the cheap stuff.
Good point...just yesterday he was recommending a refurbished Husqvarna 128L trimmer to a pro..........