Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
BigFish, I would like a service manual to use as a reference. I wanted to know how to replace/adjust the brake assembly. The band broke and when I took the side cover off, a few parts and screws fell out. In addition, there is oil leaking from around where the cylinder bolts to the block.

Eric
Most IPLs give ya enough info to see where the parts go/fit, no? It shouldn't be that complicated.
As for the oil seepage, the only thing you can try is tightening up the cyl base bolts.
Prolly be better off pulling the cyl. and slapping a ring/s in it and a new gasket. I always use a spray sealer on two stroke gaskets! Hy-tack or Copper coat.

......AMF!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rancher 460

Thank you for your input BigFish. I was able to download the IPL and for the most part, you are right that it provides a good idea of where things go. I was hoping that the manual would provide some idea as to what to put where first. As for the oil seepage, I will try to tighten the bolts on the head. In the event that I pull the cylinder from the crankcase, I would want an idea of ring orientation etc from the manual. In addition, I was hoping that the manual would provide pictures of any specialty tools that might be required to effect repairs.

Eric
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya don't need any special tools to do a top end.
Most two cycle pistons have a pin in the ring groove that locates the ring gap.
At any rate , if you pull the cyl. straight up/off the piston without rotating it, the ring gap should stay where its supposed to be. The new ring would be installed with any marking ( dot, letter, etc. ) facing up.
Support the piston on a couple of wooden clothespins, oil the ring and piston, wipe a little in the cyl, and use yer fingers to compress the ring, and yer done!

Manuals are great to have, but if ya ain't got one ( and your too cheap to BUY one) then ................

......AMF!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rancher 460

Thanks BigFish. Once I get it apart, I am sure that things will fall in to place.
As for the manual, I was willing to purchase one but could not find any place on line to get it. Do you know of a source on line to order an oem manual?

Eric
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Type in "Husqvarna 455 Rancher shop manual" on your search engine and it comes up on fleabay, in both hard copy and on CD.
Don't know why I can't get it on Arboristsite.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 455 460 Parts and Service Manual

I know this thread is old, but I am haveing trouble with my 460 and I have located a service manual. Since Google bings this thread up as a top result for '460 service manual' I will share it here in an attempt to help others.

Husqvarna_Chainsaw_455_Rancher_460_Parts_and_Service_Manual.pdf -
Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallcrash View Post
I know this thread is old, but I am haveing trouble with my 460 and I have located a service manual. Since Google bings this thread up as a top result for '460 service manual' I will share it here in an attempt to help others.

Hey, I saved it anyways! Thanks!

......AMF!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallcrash View Post

Thanks Hallcrash. A service manual like this is always good to have.