Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Refurbished items did just cross my mind but if you can find a good refurbished blower for $300 you should
buy it already because you also need to consider we're looking for a leaf blower, in the fall!
Try finding this same blower around February if you want a deal.
July and August are good months as well, maybe September.

But you try and find a backpack blower "cheap" in the fall, that's like all the folks running out
to try and find a generator because a hurricane is on the radar, who are all these folks kidding?

You want to find a deal, you need to buy it during the off season.

Here are two I could scare up on short notice but they're no deal, just the best I could find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-ba...477#vi-content

Now I did find a 560BTS new for $400, it's about a 500 cfm blower...
http://www.allenlawnmower.com/shopsi...odQ1oAxw#18361

On a bonus note, give it two months if you want to find deals on generators.
Bet you can find some power generator sales around 15.Jan-28.Feb !

Make a note of it so you don't forget.

Last edited by herler; 11-19-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a problem with anyone asking questions, homeowner or not. I'm so ignorant of many things involved in landscaping, for instance, it isn't even funny. None of us can know everything.

However, the old adage of using the right tool for the job comes to mind. No one wants to spend more money than they have to, but anyone, business owner, or homeowner, should consider the long term costs and benefits when purchasing equipment. Herler gets off on a tangent at times, but he also makes some valid points. The guy's wife doesn't understand power equipment, but probably wouldn't hesitate to spend $500 on some pretty doo-dad to hang on the wall in the house. Anyone male on here that is married should be able to relate to that scenario.

Simply put, are you going to go cheap and dread the drudgery of blowing the leaves every fall, or buy top of the line and make it a somewhat enjoyable chore? No more than the average homeowner is going to use a commercial blower, they should basically last forever.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Dave - You might find this helpful...popular mechanics review of blowers. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...pb-500#slide-1
Thanks for that link, I actually came across that last night when I was researching the different models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well, those kind of quotes along with everything else I'm reading and seeing lead me to believe you want something for nothing.

Now you come in here ask us what we think...
You need $500 for a decent backpack blower.
That's what I think.
Again, the first part of your post is innacurate, and as I stated, I never brought business into this until it was suggested I hire out the work. I'm looking for a product, not a service. Please don't read me wrong. I'm not here to knock your profession, I'm just looking for equipment.

The second part is informative; I did ask what people think. I (incorrectly) thought that a $300-$400 range would provide a good middle-of-the-road cost for a product, above the handhelds and low CC/CFM/MPH backpacks, and below the higher priced commercial-grade units.

Quote:
Refurbished items did just cross my mind but if you can find a good refurbished blower for $300 you should
buy it already because you also need to consider we're looking for a leaf blower, in the fall!

But you try and find a backpack blower "cheap" in the fall, that's like all the folks running out
to try and find a generator because a hurricane is on the radar, who are all these folks kidding?

Here are two I could scare up on short notice but they're no deal, just the best I could find:

Much better, thank you!
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
However, the old adage of using the right tool for the job comes to mind. No one wants to spend more money than they have to, but anyone, business owner, or homeowner, should consider the long term costs and benefits when purchasing equipment. Herler gets off on a tangent at times, but he also makes some valid points. The guy's wife doesn't understand power equipment, but probably wouldn't hesitate to spend $500 on some pretty doo-dad to hang on the wall in the house. Anyone male on here that is married should be able to relate to that scenario.
Well said on both points!

She's a professional photographer (I don't mean a stay-at-home mom that went out and bought a Canon Rebel DSLR "professional"). $3000 camera body, $1000s in lenses, $500 flash, umbrellas and lights/strobes/reflectors/tripods out the A$$. That crap adds up quick. I don't get it, but, I don't question it.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I own several BP blowers, including two top tier models- a Husky 570 BTS and BR 600 Stihl. Like I said in my earlier post, the Husky 350 they sell at Lowe's is plenty for your needs as a homeowner and is in your price range. Is bigger better? Almost always. That is, unless you simply can't afford it, and/or you want to stay married.

The 350 will do fine for your place, especially if you aren't the lazy type of homeowner who tries to wait and do the leaves all at one time, on one day. Do them once a week throughout the fall with the 350, and you'll have no problems at all. I would go to a local Husqvarna dealer though if you have one around your area, since you'll get the same machine at the same price, and better service if needed afterwards.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you can spend $70.00 more, the Kawasaki KRRB650B blowers sell on ebay for about $370.00 new. They are pro grade, and really powerful. I have one too.

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Can't tell if you're serious or not...
Just trying to help, I figured without a muffler you coudlnt hear the wire iching.

If it were me Id buy the best that Shindawia now makes, and buy a new truck to bring it home in. Make sure the truck has a loud radio.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Craigslist is loaded.

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I love it when someone having a bad day takes it out on someone not looking to break the bank while still getting something accomplished. Nobody wants to pay more for something than what it's worth, but that's not a tangible metric in all reality as the worth of something is what that certan individual deems it to be. So anyone wanting to sound tough in the net in a similar situation take this advice, don't do it. You only make yourself look like an ass and that's not worth the 1minute of satisfaction you gain making posts like that.

I feel your pain OP though my wife is actually pretty undderstanding. It doesn't help that I'm a pretty handy mo fo and could probably keep even the lowest quality equipment running for quite a long time. Just try your best to let her know the facts and that what you want to buy and plan on doing with that purchase actually is saving you money in the long term.

I'm a huge fan of Craigslist/finding old crap someone else doesn't want and making it run like it should. My current back pack blower is an early SN Echo PB-300E. I'm certian the models you are looking at/listed in the first post would blast it to the noon but for my needs (1/3 acre with a 35' Cleveland pear/2 35' green ashs'/about 40% of my neighbors 50' pin oak in my yard) it does the trick.

I'm sure you could find the models you listed on CL that are a year old or maybe even brand new for under your $300 budget.

If all else fails do like I do. Ask yourself "is she going to divorce me for doing this"? Chances are probably not!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Too bad you have a limit OP - nothing like going all Tim Taylor on the leaves with a full blown commercial grade Husqy 570 unit:

http://youtu.be/0EBSrCeOwRw