Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay I see. Well that sounds really good. I'm thinking about advertising with price. What are your thoughts on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like doing that because one house is different from the next... per say though in a particular place say neighborhood A all the houses were almost exact and you had an average cut of $35 a cut... so then when you advertise in that neighborhood you could put starting at $35 a cut!... but then again some people would scare away from that... then if you put say starting at $25 a cut and try to upsell them on why the flier says $25 and you're in front of them saying thats based on xyz its really a $35 per cut you're going to piss them off lol... thats the only problem i have with advertising with price... im in insurance and i have people call all day with i was quoted x then i re-run the quote now its higher then they get all pissed off well this paper says x now you're quoting me blah blah... loses you customers pretty easily
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right on that's a really good point. I was originally thinking of posting my price because of ease but you brought up the idea of differences etc. Thanks the info and responses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Right on that's a really good point. I was originally thinking of posting my price because of ease but you brought up the idea of differences etc. Thanks the info and responses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any other ideas on this thread? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad that this happened to someone besides me. 3 years ago I passed out about 100 cheaply made to the point 1/4 page flyers and scored 3 solid customers that I still have. This past spring I passed out 1400 glossy high impact flyers and gained 1 long term customer and a few mulch jobs.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I'm glad that this happened to someone besides me. 3 years ago I passed out about 100 cheaply made to the point 1/4 page flyers and scored 3 solid customers that I still have. This past spring I passed out 1400 glossy high impact flyers and gained 1 long term customer and a few mulch jobs.
I totally believe you it just seems so weird. Why would someone go with a cheaply made flier over a nice postcard? Again, is it the idea of expensive postcard expensive service?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Also, did you post prices on the fliers?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Also, did you post prices on the fliers?
I always quote in person after walking the property. I think that I will be using the cheapo flyers in the $500K and under neighborhoods and see what happens next spring. Do you use a web link on the cheapo ads or just a phone number? Angies's list info?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I always quote in person after walking the property. I think that I will be using the cheapo flyers in the $500K and under neighborhoods and see what happens next spring. Do you use a web link on the cheapo ads or just a phone number? Angies's list info?
I haven't tried the cheapo ads. But when I put out my fliers I will have my website and phone number. I'm not real big on Angie's List as of now.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

whats pretty cool about my cell phone number is the last 4 of it spells LAWN (5296)... it took me awhile to get the number and have it ported to verizon but still to this day my phone number is xxx-xxx-LAWN (5296) so that's how i advertised and man my customers love it because the first 3 numbers are super easy to remember...

and on my cheapo ads i just put my number in bold at the bottom and my email address is all...

few close family members live in 600k-1.5mill neighborhoods and when i advertised in there i used the same method... my fliers got me more phone calls... now my phone did ring ring ring... whether i landed the deal or not was a different story but im pretty good closer... when i worked at a car dealership i had one of the highest close rates so all i wanted and needed was to be in person with someone and let the hope to god i can close this sale begin!

I believe in having something that works for you my ad went like this

Lazer Cut Lawn & Landscape

*Mowing
*Mulch
*Bed Maintenance
*few other services

Phone number
email

coupon at the bottom about the free mow like i discussed before...

but even on my post cards it said ask me how to get a free service.