Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
GM, while you are correct, the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Which is all I meant to point out. Thanks, sonny. Too many posters seem to forget that "we are not at the site!", we have no idea of local conditions and our posts can only come from our experience with like-problems.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
GM, while you are correct, the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Your right I missed that part of his post. My point was that pump down tests would do almost no good here because you could run the well all day and still have plenty of water. Sorry mike.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Sorry mike.
::::Cancels e-mail to Martha Stewart to throw you out::::
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Read it again, he said the filters on the spray heads are clogged with dirt and sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreelawns View Post
I service a HOA that the irrigation system is on a well. I am constantly having spray heads that the filters are stopped up. Most of the spray nozzles Hunter Pro sprays and I have tried some MP Rotors. I will remove the nozzles and they are covered with dirt/sand. I will turn the system back on with a nozzle removed and I will get a clump of dirt shoot out of the head. What can be done about this? Is there a filter that can be placed on the pump? What other suggestions do you have? Thanks
That pump must be sucking the a$$ out of that well to produce clumps of dirt. I'd still check the water at the pump before making major investments in the well when the problem could merely be dirt in the line.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Read it again, he said the filters on the spray heads are clogged with dirt and sand.
Yes jvan, read what I said again.
the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
That pump must be sucking the a$$ out of that well to produce clumps of dirt. I'd still check the water at the pump before making major investments in the well when the problem could merely be dirt in the line.
Having a pump/well expert come in to check the system is not a "major investment", it simply takes one of the most likely causes out of the equation.
Who knows? It could be a hand-dug well, we have run into those out west, as well. (pun intended)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The HOA is having the well installer come by this week. He claims he always hits water in a gravel bed. I will let you know what i find out. Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Yes jvan, read what I said again.
the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Could be right, Alabama has experienced drought conditions, but it also suggests the possibility of dirt in the line from a break or poorly performed line repair; we'll see. That's a more usual condition here than a draw down issue.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Having a pump/well expert come in to check the system is not a "major investment", it simply takes one of the most likely causes out of the equation.
Who knows? It could be a hand-dug well, we have run into those out west, as well. (pun intended)
Costs a couple of $100 to get one of those guys to show up.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok......I had some time to spend at the HOA. They called the well installer and he states that the well is producing "crystal clear" water at the well. The heads and filters that I replaced a few weeks ago seem to be doing better. I noticed that all the zones have 2" water lines and valves. The zone I am having problem with is a 1" valve. Could this cause the problem? The pump is cycling on and off a lot and the spray from the heads is terrible when the pump is off. So I had the idea that if I could combine two zones that would help to keep the pump running. I simply put two wires under one station, and that seems to keep the pump running and the spray heads are doing better. Is this bad? I know that actually combining the zones with the same pipe would be better but I was desperate to keep some pansies alive while we have some 70 degree days. What do you guys think? Any more suggestions?