Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best [bri-mar] 7k dump trailer ?

Hey guys, im thinking about buying a dump trailer. Im intrested in a 7k dual axle dump trailer. Do any of you know about the differnt models?
thanks
http://www.bri-mar.com/trailermenu.php
for reference
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what are some things to look at when buying a dump trailer?
is 1 hydraulic lift better than 2?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the tradeoff is at the dump they will start charging me probably
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dual lifts are better than singles, scissor lifts are better than duals, and single cylinder at ther front of the trailer is best for heavy stuff. Then there is power up/gravity down or power up/power down.

Get a larger one if you can, but used if you cannot afford new. I had a 6x10 7k that ran out of space and capacity to quickly. I guess it depends what you're hauling but in landscaping it tends to be lighter bulky things like brush, clippings, edgings, mulch, topsoil, etc.... With a 7K you're looking at a payload of 4700-5000. It's good but sometimes you run out of room with the bulky stuff before payload.

I went from the 6x10 7k to a 7x14 14k. I still think it's not big enough at times. Payload yes it's fine. I also got the right truck to pull that type of a trailer but thats a whole other thread.

Get what fits your needs.
Why do you need a dump trailer?
What are you going to haul?
Do you need low profile for equipment hauling or deck over for dumping in a pile?
Can your current truck keep up with the weight of a fully loaded dump?

Just list questions and answer them. Talk to dealers and let em show you their trailers. Sit down, gather the facts, and make your decision.

Why would you be charged at the dump if you werent before?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hey mdlawn
thanks for your response.
the towing capacity of my truck is 7k, otherwise i would go bigger. i guess i could go 10k if the empty trailer weight is close to the 7k, in case i upgrade a truck.
mostly will be hauling leaves, trees, debris.
what difference dose a deck over make?
what are you hauling that you need more than 5k?

thanks man
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

10 yards of black mulch 800-1000lbs per yard. 4 yards of topsoil 2000-2500lbs per yard. 3 yards crusher run 3500lbs per yard. 3 pallets of bricks/stone at 2500lbs per pallet. 3 pallets of sod at 2700 per pallet. I've ordered deliveries on things like sod and blocks but if I need in a pinch it's nice to be able to. I've also done 3 jobs in one day and able to haul 2 different types of mulch for those 3 jobs. Is it full to capacity all the time? No. But having the weight capability and cargo volume is important to me. Why make 2-3 trips when I can make one. Plus I could rent a skid steer an put it in the trailer. Not happening with a 10 footer. Also the debris, leaves, trees are bulky items that need large cargo volume.

Deckover just makes unloading materials easier, picture mulch into wheelbarrows and will dump into a pile. Low profile is easier to load debris and equipment. Low profile is the most popular. You can always sell and upgrade if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds good. thanks for the reply MDlawn.
continuing my research at bri mars website. i am wondering why there are big differences in empty trailer weight for the different styles of trailer.
LPHD series 10k trailer weights 3,455 while a trailer out of a different class may weigh 2,800, being the same dimensions.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LPHD is their heavy duty line. Probably thicker frames, dual cylinders, one may come with ramps, or just larger components making it heavier. When I got my trailer it was a 7x14ft 14k rated to haul 10,400lbs. I saw a 6x12ft 12k deck over rated at 9800lbs payload. The deck over didn't have ramps, the sides were shorter, was 6ft wide vs 7ft, no adjustable coupler, single cylinder lift vs scissor, etc..... I know they are the same dimension but just showing how a smaller trailer could carry a similar weight of a larger one. I almost bought the deck over but glad I did not as I needed to haul a few pieces of equipment this year and the low profile makes loading much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the response MDlawn
it makes loading equip easier cause the angle of the ramp is less steep and its a shorter distance?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The higher the deck the steeper the ramp. Unless you have incedibly long ramps.
Posted via Mobile Device