LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Its insane how people don't wana work for anything anymore
Posted via Mobile Device
I cant find anyone reliable anymore, my dad is the most reliable lol
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

set up contracts with level payments and year round service. I make my profit during the winter.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

I'd second what Andy said I see lots of LCO just smooth the payments and then offer leaf cleaning and other lawn services during the "off season"

Holiday lights and general cleanup are always good ways I see guys making it though the winter. In our area people do lawn treatments as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ya see I fired a kid because he didn't wana work this year and I told him thts how it goes you work when there is work and were done when we are done since rainy days we don't work usually and this summer by me we had an insane drought and worked maybe 15 hr weeks for a month
Posted via Mobile Device
When you treat your guys like that and tell them things like that it's no wonder you can't find good employees. Respect is mutual, a lot of people cant seem to grasp that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to build your commercial base in the Winter is one of the better things you can do, as far as staying within the lawn business. Most residential clients aren't thinking about who is cutting their lawns until March, from my experience.

-Michael
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
When you treat your guys like that and tell them things like that it's no wonder you can't find good employees. Respect is mutual, a lot of people cant seem to grasp that.
Posted via Mobile Device
cant stand lazy people im sorry but if im out there busting my ass i expect the same thing from you. it would be a different story if i sat in the truck and told him to go do the stuff, i wouldnt send someone out to do a job that i havent or wouldnt do myself
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Trying to build your commercial base in the Winter is one of the better things you can do, as far as staying within the lawn business. Most residential clients aren't thinking about who is cutting their lawns until March, from my experience.

-Michael
i feel its hard to quote properties when there is snow on the ground but i have also seeen from the little commerciel lots they wait a bit longer as well
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
I'd second what Andy said I see lots of LCO just smooth the payments and then offer leaf cleaning and other lawn services during the "off season"

Holiday lights and general cleanup are always good ways I see guys making it though the winter. In our area people do lawn treatments as well.
any advice on how to charge for the lights did a job today and have 3 more but have 0 clue how to charge lol
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
cant stand lazy people im sorry but if im out there busting my ass i expect the same thing from you. it would be a different story if i sat in the truck and told him to go do the stuff, i wouldnt send someone out to do a job that i havent or wouldnt do myself
IMHO I wouldn't call working 15 hrs a week busting my hump. You are right about people not wanting to work. I have the same mentality about employees when they are hired, I wouldn't have them do anything I wouldn't do myself.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have snow im guessing you are either in one of the mountain chains or up by the lakes. I would definitely wait until there was little to no snow on the ground.

Sadly, no other person is every going to work as hard as you do because it's your business and you get the most reward from it. Their is only a small group of people who will truly work hard for you and they are the ones who will then go on to start their own businesses. Im also told the "extreme southerners" work very hard for a small check but I don't care, i would shut down before I had them working for me.

-Michael