Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

warm season fall pre thoughts

On all my warm season turf I usually try to apply simazine in November for control of poa and winter weeds. The problem is I always get in trouble with leaves. I have some lawns without trees and they aren't the problem, but I have many lawns where I can't seem to catch up with the leaves long enough to get a good window for the application. So most times the simazine application happens in December. That usually does a great job with controlling the weeds, but I will get some early break through. I'm seeing weeds and poa now.

I was talking with the local super at the country club and he said a university turf guy recommended 1 qt/acre of atrazine in October and 1 qt/acre simazine in December. I like the idea of that split app for increased control and getting the pre down before and after the bulk of leaf season. Plus I could eliminate the 3-way that I normally mix with my pre. Atrazine/simazine is a very low cost application.

Our turf usually stops growing in October, and turn brown after the first frost.

Any reason why I can't use that application schedule on all my warm season turf? My warm season consist of mostly centipede and bermuda with a few st aug and zoysia mixed in. Thoughts?