Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buying a truck to get back into it... two situations

I have the opportunity to buy 2 different trucks... but I'm at a battle with myself right now..

$2500-3000 budget mind you...

1st truck

2004 F-150 stx 117k miles $2500
-- Good condition... v8 auto... regular cab short bed... silver... over drive is out is the only problem with it but with it off there's no problems... bought it new with 11 miles on it so i know where its been etc... It's my dads but him and I don't really get along and don't know if buying his truck would just add more fuel to the fire... or should i just stick it out manage with a few words here or there and get it.

2nd truck

2002 Ford f150 xlt 230k miles $1900

-- Good condition, v8, 5 speed manual, long bed... white. owned by a mechanics shop that was used as a parts delivery truck... good condition newer tires and clutch... nothing known mechnaically wrong with it.

these are the only two trucks i like for right now but can't decide whether to bite the bullet risk even more damage to my relationship with my dad or say to hell with it and but it anyways or but the other guys truck...

now side note... my dad has been offered $4k numerous times by a guy at his work but he has not sold it yet... so i don't know if he's 100% serious... he says he is but people with fathers like mine know how they act and what they say are 2 different things...

i currently drive a 06 honda civic that i have sold for what i owe... and i have $2500-3000 to spend on a truck...

help me
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Cut View Post
I have the opportunity to buy 2 different trucks... but I'm at a battle with myself right now..

$2500-3000 budget mind you...

1st truck

2004 F-150 stx 117k miles $2500
-- Good condition... v8 auto... regular cab short bed... silver... over drive is out is the only problem with it but with it off there's no problems... bought it new with 11 miles on it so i know where its been etc... It's my dads but him and I don't really get along and don't know if buying his truck would just add more fuel to the fire... or should i just stick it out manage with a few words here or there and get it.

2nd truck

2002 Ford f150 xlt 230k miles $1900

-- Good condition, v8, 5 speed manual, long bed... white. owned by a mechanics shop that was used as a parts delivery truck... good condition newer tires and clutch... nothing known mechnaically wrong with it.

these are the only two trucks i like for right now but can't decide whether to bite the bullet risk even more damage to my relationship with my dad or say to hell with it and but it anyways or but the other guys truck...

now side note... my dad has been offered $4k numerous times by a guy at his work but he has not sold it yet... so i don't know if he's 100% serious... he says he is but people with fathers like mine know how they act and what they say are 2 different things...

i currently drive a 06 honda civic that i have sold for what i owe... and i have $2500-3000 to spend on a truck...

help me
Well I have to ask are you planning on hooking up a plow to this in the future? If so plowing with a manual might be a pain. Plus your Dad's truck has less miles (about half of the other truck) so that might be an added bonus to the situation.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Well I have to ask are you planning on hooking up a plow to this in the future? If so plowing with a manual might be a pain. Plus your Dad's truck has less miles (about half of the other truck) so that might be an added bonus to the situation.

Nah, both are 2x4's so i'm not worried about a plow for now... maybe if i stepped it up to a 3/4 ton later on...

yea that's my gut too but dealing with him is a pain in the arse and we havn't gotten along for a few years now. Some how when i was visiting my grandma (his mom) few weekends ago i was telling her i was looking at trucks again and she told my dad, but dealing with him is worse than getting dental work lol. he's a pain and we don't get a long at all so i tried to avoid his situation but it's an awesome deal if he will go through with it

I'm worried im going to sell my honda saturday... go over there sunday to pick up the truck and him back out- i've been talking to him and hes sure he wants to sell it but theres something off i just can't place it. that feeling you get when something goes wrong... that's how i am now... don't know if im thinking to hard into it or not
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Nah, both are 2x4's so i'm not worried about a plow for now... maybe if i stepped it up to a 3/4 ton later on...

yea that's my gut too but dealing with him is a pain in the arse and we havn't gotten along for a few years now. Some how when i was visiting my grandma (his mom) few weekends ago i was telling her i was looking at trucks again and she told my dad, but dealing with him is worse than getting dental work lol. he's a pain and we don't get a long at all so i tried to avoid his situation but it's an awesome deal if he will go through with it

I'm worried im going to sell my honda saturday... go over there sunday to pick up the truck and him back out- i've been talking to him and hes sure he wants to sell it but theres something off i just can't place it. that feeling you get when something goes wrong... that's how i am now... don't know if im thinking to hard into it or not
Yeah...maybe you are. Well it seems like your Dad's truck is the better deal. The worst that happens is you go over there and he decided not to sell it. Then at least the other truck will be available, incase you need it in a pinch.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah...maybe you are. Well it seems like your Dad's truck is the better deal. The worst that happens is you go over there and he decided not to sell it. Then at least the other truck will be available, incase you need it in a pinch.
that's true... and the good thing about where i work now is that I can literally walk to work... so if he needs a day or two i can wait... just dealing with him is a nightmare... he tries to guilt you even though he called me and offered me his truck now he's saying he doesnt know if he can replace it for $2500... i'm just thinking no $hit you can't replace a 2004 f150 stx for that lol...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
that's true... and the good thing about where i work now is that I can literally walk to work... so if he needs a day or two i can wait... just dealing with him is a nightmare... he tries to guilt you even though he called me and offered me his truck now he's saying he doesnt know if he can replace it for $2500... i'm just thinking no $hit you can't replace a 2004 f150 stx for that lol...
Yeah, well it's probably worth the shot...maybe somehow this will help mend some bridges.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

First question: are the trucks the 5.4 v8 or the 4.6? If the 04 is a 5.4, have the spark plugs been changed? If not, no deal on the 04. (That spark plug change will run you between 500-1000+ depending how many plugs snap off in the head, google it.)

So, an 04 with a known transmission problem and the baggage of dealing with your father vs an 02 in sound mechanical condition and an 8 foot box? I'd vote for the 02. Plus you'll save some money up front which can be put towards other equiment or your insurance.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bautieri View Post
First question: are the trucks the 5.4 v8 or the 4.6? If the 04 is a 5.4, have the spark plugs been changed? If not, no deal on the 04. (That spark plug change will run you between 500-1000+ depending how many plugs snap off in the head, google it.)

So, an 04 with a known transmission problem and the baggage of dealing with your father vs an 02 in sound mechanical condition and an 8 foot box? I'd vote for the 02. Plus you'll save some money up front which can be put towards other equiment or your insurance.
I thought is was the V10's that Ford had problems with the plugs snapping off?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bautieri View Post

very true... the 2004 is a 4.6 not the 5.4
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I thought is was the V10's that Ford had problems with the plugs snapping off?
I think the year range is 2004-2006.5 where the 5.4 used a two piece spark plug. They had a tendency to snap when you tried to back them out. I'm not sure about the V10, maybe it had those same issues too?