Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Day Labor places

I am desperately needing help. I have no been able to find reliable, daily help. I'm considering using a Day Labor place for help. Any opinions/experience with this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Steve, you could just go to the shamrock on south memorial and pick up some of Landmarks guys that meet there everyday. Seriously though call me and I have a guy for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we use a labor staffing service regularly when we pick up large installs and need temporary labor. It works for us, we pay one flat rate and everything is covered, pay, taxes, wc etc.. If a guy doesn't work well we simply call the service and tell them to send someone different the next day. We usually find a few guys that work real well and as long as we give a few days notice then we can request them for future work.

We have also hired one of our laborers from the labor service. It's a good way to see if an employee will work out before you hire them. You just have to watch out because some staffing service will charge you if you end up direct hiring one of their guys.

One thing I have learnt with temp labors is to offer them a bonus. They make crap for pay, so I let them know that if they bust their *** all day/week I will throw them some extra cash that the service doesn't need to know about. That always encourages them to work even harder.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I L L E G A L S used to work well for me when I worked in the construction industry. These guys were legit, bona fide mexicans with boots, sombreros, tacos...the whole 9 yards. These guys worked their @$$es off for 50 bucks a day. Now, from what I understand, this practice is frowned upon these days. BUT the Mexicans worked circles around the day labor guys. I just gave them cash and dropped them off at Wallyworld when they were done. Every single day labor guy I used was terrible, but I had to leave them unsupervised and trust they'd actually work. I guess if they were right with you or a trusty site boss, it'd work out OK.

Charging a fee if you hired on of their workers???? Is this Russia or something? Tell the labor office to F O and you can hire anyone you want, whenever you want.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
Charging a fee if you hired on of their workers???? Is this Russia or something? Tell the labor office to F O and you can hire anyone you want, whenever you want.
Many staffing/temp services charge this if you direct hire their guys. The way it is seen is if you hire one of there employees you are no longer using there temp service and are instead using them as a reqcruiter. Same as you would contact a recruiting company to find you good employees and expect them to not charge you accordingly when they found you a propper fit.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback. Nick, I'll call you about your guy.