Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Worth the risk?

I started cutting for the first time this past september and currently have a few bi weekly customers. I have all brand new equipment that I have made my money back on besides my walk behind which I bought used. It is a toro pro line 36 inch that cuts decent but is just an old mower I bought cheap. My question is what the risk of buying a new ztr without having the customers for sure. I tested a 48in scag turf tiger and msrp is 6400 right now. With just my current few yards i will make 2475 with just 15 weeks of regular maintenance on them. What is the average rate of new yards picked up or is just how much you advertise. I want to buy a top of the line commercial mower so I can be as competitive as my competition. Any input on people who have taken chances in this similar situations would be great thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id wait, you may wind up buying a mower that doesnt "fit" your needs.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Worth the risk?

I know guys that have picked up 25 n a year and some that pick up a couple a year. This buisiness is wat u make of it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Sponsor

Wait until you have enough saved for the investment of your new equipment.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies, yea i currently have 4500 i could put down on one leaving me short a couple thousands, i think I will advertise over the winter and if I make a move it will be early of next year. I still have to test exmark, gravely, an a grasshopper out. But the turf tiger was great. I was impressed
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bought a new mower for next year, but we have calls come in almost everyday for new business so I felt comfortable with the decision,once the start of the season hits next year if it's anything like last year it won't be long and we will be at full schedule again in very short order. Not to mention the fact that we are getting rid of some of the less profitable accounts to make room for higher margin stuff.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrucks4Life View Post
I started cutting for the first time this past september and currently have a few bi weekly customers. I have all brand new equipment that I have made my money back on besides my walk behind which I bought used. It is a toro pro line 36 inch that cuts decent but is just an old mower I bought cheap. My question is what the risk of buying a new ztr without having the customers for sure. I tested a 48in scag turf tiger and msrp is 6400 right now. With just my current few yards i will make 2475 with just 15 weeks of regular maintenance on them. What is the average rate of new yards picked up or is just how much you advertise. I want to buy a top of the line commercial mower so I can be as competitive as my competition. Any input on people who have taken chances in this similar situations would be great thanks.
I had a boss tell me one time he liked it when people started familys or bought a new house or car... it made them work harder because they know they have to pay something more now per month... for $4500 you could get a near new mower off CL with under 200 hours... still have plenty of warranty and you dont get the depreciation... buying mowers is like buying cars... buy new well the first cut just lost you 20% of what its worth... that's just my opinion and i know others disagree but hey to each is his own... i'd rather buy the demo mower or somebody that went under vs brand new... but then again i bought a brand new grandstand ha... I took the chance when i first started out in 2008 had everything paid for except my truck (which after 1 year i paid off) ... so i got a job in the winter of 2009 working for a lawn and garden shop but i got 15% off all equipment... well toro's grandstand model was on sale plus my employee discount.. so i bought it because used was actually more than i paid for that one... so i took the chance... busted my arse got the clients to i needed for it... being i didn't finance it though but it put me down to the wire on cash flow...

and when i sold out... i got what i paid for it new lol
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

yea i gotcha, i just havent found any good used ztrs around, most of them have close to 1000 hours and still cost 4500 to 5500 and I just want pay that much for a used one thats has been abused. If I could find a used one I sure would buy it like you said its a good deal with low hours
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrucks4Life View Post
yea i gotcha, i just havent found any good used ztrs around, most of them have close to 1000 hours and still cost 4500 to 5500 and I just want pay that much for a used one thats has been abused. If I could find a used one I sure would buy it like you said its a good deal with low hours
local lawn service shops will put demos out for sale in november... i know my buddy picked up a scag 61'' big sum biotch for $5k... it's a $10-12k and it had less than 300 hrs and it looked brand new. Around here you can snag ztrs with low hours all the time for under $5k especially right now.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gained as much 12-15 new but also lost up to 5. I'd wait till next year. And since you're just now starting out, BIGGER is not better. A 44"-48" mower is great.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.