Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Led Questions

I continue to try and use LED's here and there, But I have to ask if anyone is experiencing what I saw today.

to review: this particular commercial building LED job was done back in 2007, with about 450 3 diode LED opaque white LED's. They were bright the first year, had to replace 15-20% of the bulbs That went out or dim in year 2, 50% in year 3. replaced all with the newer faceted 5 LED diode in 2010, replaced maybe 10 in 2011, and this is 2012. looks like I have replaced 25-35, and there are probably another 25 that appear to have 1 or 2, maybe 3 diodes out. so still decently bright, but dimmer than the rest. so I moved all the dim ones to the cut backs, put in new 5 diode that matches the others pretty close. I am hoping I am not looking at another full replacement next year.

I have a few other jobs with LED's that are smaller, so I guess I have not noticed a few bulbs here and there. but the dimming on the 5 diodes is new to me. anybody else seeing this?

Also, nearly every strand of LED Minis I have tried in the past has either had an ugly color, weird vibration, or did not last. I am trying the Leco sets this year and have been pleased with the 6 inch space 50 light sets. Like most rectified warm whites they are not cheap, but look good. Anybody have long term experience with Leco?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

We haven't experienced the dimming - but we are also primarily incandescent. For the mini's however - this is our 2nd year to use conical 50 light sets 6" spacing from Deco and we love them. Perfect color, good reliability (so far).

Leco is the same as Orman right? We've ordered a few things here and there from Orman - usually when we're in a pinch late in the season. A few red and green LED C-9s last year -- we were pleased, but not any LED minis.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

what are you guys using 6" spacing for? You sure cant wrap a tree with a 6" spacing. Just curious what you are all using that for. I use the Rectified Warm Whites and never had an issue. I use Minleon for my C7/C9's. No issues so far. "Knock on wood."
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why cant you wrap a tree with 6" spacing??? Its all we use and my trees look awesome!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

i found it to be not enough lights and when you wrap, the lights line up with each other as you wrap and create a straight line of lights up. Usually happens on smaller branches.. There's no way a 6" spacing wrap looks better than a 4". I tried the 6 and hated it. Not enough lights on smaller branches.. it's like you have to double wrap it...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For tight wrapping we use 4" spacing or less, for stringing lights up and over the top or for spreading medium bushes and larger we are using 6".
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Sponsor

The dimming issue was a concern a few years ago, but the latest generation of pro-commercial grade sets don't have this issue. Granted, you will be paying a premium for these lights, but they remain true for a number of seasons.

As far as C7 and C9, we've had Minleon bulbs that have been in use for 6 season without any dimming. We're also up to 14 months straight (year round) with several large projects using Christmas USA bulbs with no visible dimming. These bulbs do cost a bit more, but they hold up well. Only time will tell if Christmas USA holds up as well as Minleon, but so far, so good.

ChristmasDesigners.com

#1 Choice for Pros and Christmas Enthusiasts Alike
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Sponsor

As far as spacing, we use 6" on medium and large palm trees. Of course most of the country doesn't deal with palm trees. We also use 6" for hedges and large tree scatter lighting. When it comes to branch trees, 4" is our preference.

ChristmasDesigners.com

#1 Choice for Pros and Christmas Enthusiasts Alike