Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Purple power here as well.... and yes I paint cars as a side.buisness.... the comments about "not ever making paint look as good as the factory powdercoat.." is nonsense.... I can paint 5x better than any powdercoat job.. powdercoat has its benifits but also drawbacks.... when powdercoats starts coming off or gets a worn spot... it comes off in flakes...not just a chip
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I wash mine at least once a month. Purple Power, Simple Green, or any other de-greaser will remove the grass stains and mud from decks and tires. I spray the engine when cool and pressure wash it as well keeping the nozzle far enough away as not to cause damage to anything. These commercial units are built to beat the wet and washing is not going to hurt them. My Toro is 13 years old and looks better than most units I have seen pictures of on here that are a few years old. Granite, I am servicing only about 25 cuts a week doing it part time, but the way some of the folks equipment looks I can't believe they run. I guess if your upgrading every 3-4 years, appearance is no concern. All of my equipment is washed and serviced regularly. Just makes my rig look better from client yard to client yard. Some even ask if I just bought new equipment and are surprised when I tell them how old most of it is. But to each his own, I just prefer it clean. It also helps if I do develop a leak or problem, I can tell it before it gets out of hand where the dirt accumulates.
Honda HRB217 21" Self Propelled Hydrostatic
Ryan LawnAire 28 Core Aerator
Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HT101 Limb Saw
Stihl FS110 Trimmer
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl HL 135° Hedge Trimmer Attachment
Echo SRM260S Trimmer
Stihl BR600 Magnum Blower
Stihl BR420 Magnum Blower
Echo Backpack Sprayer
Shindaiwa RS60 Spreader
And the best employee in the business...My Son!!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil_66 View Post
I wash mine at least once a month. Purple Power, Simple Green, or any other de-greaser will remove the grass stains and mud from decks and tires. I spray the engine when cool and pressure wash it as well keeping the nozzle far enough away as not to cause damage to anything. These commercial units are built to beat the wet and washing is not going to hurt them. My Toro is 13 years old and looks better than most units I have seen pictures of on here that are a few years old. Granite, I am servicing only about 25 cuts a week doing it part time, but the way some of the folks equipment looks I can't believe they run. I guess if your upgrading every 3-4 years, appearance is no concern. All of my equipment is washed and serviced regularly. Just makes my rig look better from client yard to client yard. Some even ask if I just bought new equipment and are surprised when I tell them how old most of it is. But to each his own, I just prefer it clean. It also helps if I do develop a leak or problem, I can tell it before it gets out of hand where the dirt accumulates.
How does the dirt accumulate if you keep it nice and clean?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=larryinalabama;4588136]Does anyone wax thier mowers?[/QUOTE I wax them when they are new. Compressed air only after that.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree there is no way your getting your mower clean by just blowing them off. These are commercial machines and they can handle being washed with water and degreaser. As others mentioned I usually get close with the spray when I am doing the leading edge of the deck or wheels, obviously not going full strength at the engine but you shouldn't have to either.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
How does the dirt accumulate if you keep it nice and clean?
Pressure washing it once a month gives it plenty time to accumulate plenty of dirt and grass stains. Of course where there's a little sticky dirt, you better check for a leak. So far, only the breather hole on the hydraulic reservoir it the only sticky dirt
Honda HRB217 21" Self Propelled Hydrostatic
Ryan LawnAire 28 Core Aerator
Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HT101 Limb Saw
Stihl FS110 Trimmer
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl HL 135° Hedge Trimmer Attachment
Echo SRM260S Trimmer
Stihl BR600 Magnum Blower
Stihl BR420 Magnum Blower
Echo Backpack Sprayer
Shindaiwa RS60 Spreader
And the best employee in the business...My Son!!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure wash, then blow dry, then spray with a water resistant spray like wd-40 or some other lub. also carb cleaner or a pressurized can spray of engine cleaner or something like that for the cooling fins and carb and more sensitive area. Only do this a couple times a year, best thing to do is try to keep it clean, especially the engine, as far as the paint and stains, let it be.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
We have had good results with simple green.
i pressure wazh at end of season, do full pm, spray down liberally with fluid film and tuck them in for the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Simple green or an Auto wash soap.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've found washing my Z would cause problems. I now have an air compressor with an extended air gun and this allows me to blow all the grass out and reduces friction. Mine is 2' long and can reach in areas that a blower will not.